To one and all who has a suppressor on their AK, or S308 for that matter, I have a few questions.

Mine should be getting approved shortly and I plan on running the 308 can on my Romy and S308; after the smith has threaded, mounted and ensured muzzle/suppressor concentricity of course. What types of ammo are you guys using, the Russian and other surplus stuff shooting straight enough to not incurr baffle strikes?

Any and all info/pics are appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

Only way I can think of ammo causing a baffle strike is if a bullet is used that is way outside of the size the weapon's rifling is designed to stabilize. With 7.62x39, any commercial or military ammunition should be fine. I've seen 122-grain to 154-grain stuff used in a suppressed AK without any problem with baffle strikes. Only time I've seen an ammo-related baffle strike was someone using Aguila triple-S 60-grain .22LR in a P22.

shouldn't be an issue as long as whoever sets up your threads is a pro (like tornado ind.) You of course want to use the CLEANEST ammo you can find, BEB ammo is ideal but may be difficult to impossible to find for that caliber (not sure if they make it) I run BEB ammo in 9mm suppressors and it makes a different when cleaning the suppressor, also in a rifle can if you get it really dirty, you may have a function issue (this has happend to me while running a suppressed AR-15 with dirt ammo, caused cycling issues)

BEB= Brass enclosed base (this is from Winchester about their WinClean BEB ammo)

Brass Enclosed Base (BEB) Ammo. WinClean handgun ammunition provides a safer indoor range shooting environment by eliminating airborne lead exposure at the firing point. By incorporating a patented lead and heavy metal free primer with a unique brass enclosed base bullet design, WinClean prevents lead vaporization from the bullet's base. The result is a benchmark for cleanliness with less smoke, less barrel residue and remarkably cleaner guns and shell casings

This is suppose to be better to run with suppressors....

SHOOTING SUBSONIC: Always go with a reliable company, I wouldn't run anything that may have a inconsistant powder load for subsonic rounds

Edited by Vultite
  • 2 weeks later...

I have orginal AK-74 threads on my saiga-223 and no problems with my suppressor. I shoot cheap russian 223 rem and 5,56 surplus. Shooting with the suppressor will make saiga and suppressor VERY dirty and hot fast, but i don't think it will affect the function of the suppressor.

And I can just go to sporting store and buy new suppressor :super: