I wanted to make sure that you can shoot 223 ammo out of a 5.56 chambered rifle. I have read that you shouldn't shoot a 5.56 from a 223 but nowhere the other way. it is probably a really dumb question but since I don't have a 223/5.56 and am looking into an ar-15 I want to make sure that if I buy one I can shoot both 223's and 5.56's through it safely.

Also can I use a normal ar-15 lower with a 7.62x39 upper or do I have to find a 7.62x39 lower and if so where can I find one? thanks :unsure:

keith

I wanted to make sure that you can shoot 223 ammo out of a 5.56 chambered rifle.  I have read that you shouldn't shoot a 5.56 from a 223 but nowhere the other way.  it is probably a really dumb question but since I don't have a 223/5.56 and am looking into an ar-15 I want to make sure that if I buy one I can shoot both 223's and 5.56's through it safely. 

Also can I use a normal ar-15 lower with a 7.62x39 upper or do I have to find a 7.62x39 lower and if so where can I find one? thanks :unsure:

keith

Platekiller

Here's a quote from Assasin posted about a month ago to someone who had the same message, but it's for a saiga but should give ya alittle more idea about it.

"it is fine to fire 5.56mm through your .223 saiga , 5.56mm is the metric designation for .223" They are effectivly the same round , 5.56mm rifles are usually military rifles and have slightly larger chamber dimensions than .223 rifles , rifles marked .223 usually have more stringent chamber dimensions to aid accuracy. the reason for the 5.56mm rifles having slightly larger chamber dimensions is simply to give the rifles increased reliability and feed when in a critical situation such as a war.

i have fired .223 ammo in a 5.56 rifle and 5.56 ammo in a .223 rifle and it is 100% safe."

:ph34r::killer:

The 7.62x39 upper fits on a regular lower receiver assembly, but you need a new bolt head (for the larger rimmed cartridge). There is something you should know about 7.62x39 uppers for the AR15 though...

There have been reports of problems with ammunition using a lacquer coated case. Apparently, during rapid fire the lacquer can melt and cause a shell to stick in the chamber. I don't know all that much about it, so I advise that you do some reasearch on your own.

Another thing, the primary difference between the 5.56 NATO chambers and the 223 comercial chambers is the length of the leade (throat). As for the question of interchangability, if you want to be absolutely certain that you won't have any problems, get a barrel with a NATO (or Wylde) chamber, and you will be able to shoot military and commercial ammo with no problem. This is from the Bushmaster catalog, so I trust it. Research it yourself though, it's always good to look these things up. I hope that helps.