FH/Brake vs Choke

Hrm...So I have a dilemma and want some people's opinions on it. I have my Saiga set-up for tactical purposes (home-defense): 18.5" barrel, pistol grip, night-sights, folding stock, etc. Hopefully I'll never even use it for such purposes, but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

However, I want it for more than the off-chance that I might need it for defense and the occasional weekend-recreational shooting. I'd love to have it be functional as a sporting gun good for clays, skeet, hunting, and 3-gun competitions. Since the barrel is short and open-cylinder bore, can it ever be good for sporting? Would a choke help? If I got a choke, would it preclude a muzzle brake/flash suppressor?

I know that both can't be used at once, but is there a way to set up a gun so that the two could be interchangable? My idea is to basically unscrew the FH/brake when I go to the range and screw on the choke, then go back to the FH/brake when I return home.

From my understanding, the threading of most brakes/FH aren't compatible with that of external chokes. Is there any exception to this? Or if not, can an adapter be made that could allow them to be interchanged by providing a go-between for the different threadings?

Could an adapter tube be made so that one end of it has a thread pattern matching that needed for the FH/brake, and the other end be threaded to accept a choke? Thus, when the FH/brake is removed, the adapter would be screwed onto the barrel and then the choke screwed onto the adapter?

Or am I just making it too complicated? Can a shotgun be good for home defense and sport: or am I trying to have my cake and eat it too? Should I just sacrifice the FH/brake for improved sport and get the choke? Or should I add the FH/brake and not worry about the choke? Let me know your 2-cents so I can make a more informed decision please. Thanks all!

What you should do is spend lots of money and get everything that you want. :lolol: But short of that, you could do one of 2 things:

1) You could have your barrel threaded for internal chokes like Remchoke or Winchoke, then get the extended chokes that stick out of the barrel a little, and have that part of the chokes threaded for the flash hider.

2) You could do the thing that another guy on here said he was going to do (but I forgot who it was so I can't give him any credit) which is to do the internal choke threading, then weld the flash hider on to the barrel and have a custom extended choke wrench made that can reach thru the flash hider to unscrew the chokes. The benefit of this is that you can end up with a shorter barrel because the flash hider is permanent.

With either of these, you would have a gun for all occasions :super::super::super:

Sweet, thanks for the responses. Now the last few questions...Where would I get my barrel threaded for an internal choke? What brand choke (Rem or Win) and what type of choke (full, improved, modified) would best suit my purposes? Would I leave the choke in for defense purposes, or take it out returning to cylinder bore? Would there be serious limitations on ammo that I could shoot (steel, lead, slugs, size, etc)? Where would I get the choke, especially those with the extension that could be threaded for a FH/brake?

I know much of this is up to the individual, but I don't know as much as many of you, so I would definately appreciate your personal opinions. Also, I'm still learning about chokes, so any information is helpful. Thanks a bunch. Have a great one.

PS: 8-rounders arrived today! :super: