Buying my first AK

Hey Everybody,

First time posting, I've already learned a lot just roaming through reading. I'm looking to buy my first AK after enjoying my Hi-Point 9mm carbine so much.

I like the Saiga's, especially the price, but want more of the traditional AK look, especially wooden furniture. So I guess my first question is...Can you switch out the stock and handguards fairly easily/cheaply? Will other AK stocks and such fit it? I'm fine with just a 10 rd mag for now.

I've also found the EAA Zastava PAP. I really like the gun, especially the fact that it's new compared to a WASR. I like a thumbhole stock and dont mind the 10rd mag right now....but I'm a southpaw. Does anybody know how uncomfortable this would be for me or would it be okay? I know they have the slant cut receiver, so are there any other stocks and pistol grips that would mate up to it? I really like the price, can order one with shipping and transfer fee for about $385.

I'm also looking at WASR 10's. I can find those online for around $400. I've read so many conflicting opinions on them, people that love them and people that hate them. I have a friend that has ordered two from Century and they were in pretty good shape, no canted sights or gas tubes or anything. Should I risk it ordering one?

In general, how are gun shows in regards to AK's and all its variants as far as availability and price?

I know I've asked a lot, and I would appreciate any input from anyone. Thanks!

Hey Everybody,

First time posting, I've already learned a lot just roaming through reading. I'm looking to buy my first AK after enjoying my Hi-Point 9mm carbine so much.

I like the Saiga's, especially the price, but want more of the traditional AK look, especially wooden furniture. So I guess my first question is...Can you switch out the stock and handguards fairly easily/cheaply? Will other AK stocks and such fit it? I'm fine with just a 10 rd mag for now.

I've also found the EAA Zastava PAP. I really like the gun, especially the fact that it's new compared to a WASR. I like a thumbhole stock and dont mind the 10rd mag right now....but I'm a southpaw. Does anybody know how uncomfortable this would be for me or would it be okay? I know they have the slant cut receiver, so are there any other stocks and pistol grips that would mate up to it? I really like the price, can order one with shipping and transfer fee for about $385.

I'm also looking at WASR 10's. I can find those online for around $400. I've read so many conflicting opinions on them, people that love them and people that hate them. I have a friend that has ordered two from Century and they were in pretty good shape, no canted sights or gas tubes or anything. Should I risk it ordering one?

In general, how are gun shows in regards to AK's and all its variants as far as availability and price?

I know I've asked a lot, and I would appreciate any input from anyone. Thanks!

Iam a southpaw as well. What was the site you went to for the EAA Zastava PAP?

WASR 10's from what Ive been told are ok, you really have to watch them tho, sometimes they come with canted sights, and the lo capacity (which doesnt bother me) can be easily changed to high capacity.

Heres a site I found for a wasr 10, if you like the wood stocks, this is a Dragunov style- Dragunov package

Saigas everyone here praises (never owned one myself) and they say there worth the price.

BTW welcome to the forum!

Edited by Marrok

Thanks!

That'd be cheaper than dirt for the EAA's, but they have the synthetic stocks...the wood on those guns is so much prettier

I love the wood look as well. Ive been looking into the Zastava's, they seem really well built (aside from the synthetic stocks).

Thanks!

That'd be cheaper than dirt for the EAA's, but they have the synthetic stocks...the wood on those guns is so much prettier

I love the wood look as well. Ive been looking into the Zastava's, they seem really well built (aside from the synthetic stocks).

Yeah I have yet to read a bad thing about them besides being a pain to convert..If it wasn't for my darn left hand I would have already ordered one.

Thanks!

Yeah I have yet to read a bad thing about them besides being a pain to convert..If it wasn't for my darn left hand I would have already ordered one.

Being left handed doesnt really single you out from getting one. Its just bringing the slide back to chamber a shot thats the bitch.

'armycar01' timestamp='1280277763' post='534698']

Being left handed doesnt really single you out from getting one. Its just bringing the slide back to chamber a shot thats the bitch.

Yeah I asked a guy on another forum who has one and he said it wasnt that akward holding it left handed

My uncle has an ak-47 and an ak-74 and holding them felt just right to me. The only issue I might have is if an empty casing came out in an awkward direction my arm/shoulder might get hit. Other than that after holding one up to my shoulder and seeing how the sights were I instantly knew I wanted one.

...Being left handed doesnt really single you out from getting one. Its just bringing the slide back to chamber a shot thats the bitch.

Are you kidding me? Charging the weapon is easier if you're left-handed, since the charging handle is on the right-hand side of the weapon. You can leave your dominant hand on the pistol grip and charge it with your other hand without doing any awkward reach over/under the receiver, as we righties have to.

I s'pose ymmv.

...Being left handed doesnt really single you out from getting one. Its just bringing the slide back to chamber a shot thats the bitch.

Are you kidding me? Charging the weapon is easier if you're left-handed, since the charging handle is on the right-hand side of the weapon. You can leave your dominant hand on the pistol grip and charge it with your other hand without doing any awkward reach over/under the receiver, as we righties have to.

I s'pose ymmv.

This.^

Ergonomically speaking the AK is ideal for a lefty. Daewoo K2, DR200, Sig 556, are pretty good too but much more pricey, and questionably more effective than a simple ole Kalashnakov. :donatello:

PS The brass has a way of ending up far away from any shooter unlike the old M16 which occasionally dropped one down the BDUs if you know what I mean :eek:

Edited by avatar

Now that I htink of it you guys are right.......my brains been cooking in the hot sun today.........

:D S'ok man, iirc you haven't owned a Kalashnikov before, so the ergonomics and handling of the weapon are not yet second nature to you, as they are to the vast majority of us here.

Oh, and my advice to you, armycar01; is not to waste your money on a WASR or Yugo rifle. Russian rifles are more accurate, new from the factory, and accept standard double-stack mags with the installation of a bullet guide, (don't have to hog out the magwell on your receiver). They're also a helluva lot lighter than the Yugo rifles which use the (incorrect imo) heavy RPK receiver and barrel rather than AK-100 series specs. I think that a Saiga IZ-132, (7.62x39 "sporter" rifle), would be a very good choice, and I think you'd be impressed with the general build quality and performance.

However, if you have the coin, I recommend this over nearly any other option out there, (including ~$2500 old Chinese milled rifles). The SGL21, (brand-new Russian without the "sporter" crap to deal with), is one of the most current mil-spec and accurate AK's you can get, bar none. Mine's a < 2 MOA shooter.

Now that I htink of it you guys are right.......my brains been cooking in the hot sun today.........

:D S'ok man, iirc you haven't owned a Kalashnikov before, so the ergonomics and handling of the weapon are not yet second nature to you, as they are to the vast majority of us here.

Oh, and my advice to you, armycar01; is not to waste your money on a WASR or Yugo rifle. Russian rifles are more accurate, new from the factory, and accept standard double-stack mags with the installation of a bullet guide, (don't have to hog out the magwell on your receiver). They're also a helluva lot lighter than the Yugo rifles which use the (incorrect imo) heavy RPK receiver and barrel rather than AK-100 series specs. I think that a Saiga IZ-132, (7.62x39 "sporter" rifle), would be a very good choice, and I think you'd be impressed with the general build quality and performance.

However, if you have the coin, I recommend this over nearly any other option out there, (including ~$2500 old Chinese milled rifles). The SGL21, (brand-new Russian without the "sporter" crap to deal with), is one of the most current mil-spec and accurate AK's you can get, bar none. Mine's a < 2 MOA shooter.

I dont quite have the coinage for that one but thanks for the input...$450 is really pushing it for my limit. I know I cant expect a whole lot for that but I'm just looking for another fun gun.

Not to hijack your thread Army, but Apocalyptic, Can you also use the factory Saiga mags with the ak bullet guide in it?

Iam in the same boat with Army, except I have a way smaller budget of around $350-$400. As long as it will take down a deer and be a fun gun to shoot at a friends farm land, Iam all set.

...I dont quite have the coinage for that one but thanks for the input...$450 is really pushing it for my limit. I know I cant expect a whole lot for that but I'm just looking for another fun gun.

In that case, I recommend a IZ-132. You can always convert restore it later, when you have the money.

I know alot of people may have had some problems with inter ordnance, but they have several versions with wooden stocks and so forth, ready to accept standard AK magazines, and supposedly accurate, I'm VERY close to buying one myself, the only problems I've heard about them is the possibility of the gas tube coming loose which a new one can be bought for like 20-30 bucks, and occasionally the bolt carrier may get stuck on the reciever if its a tight fit (from all I've heard you just sand down the reciever a bit) other than that no other problems that I've heard, but I'm sure someone will say otherwise and I'll stand corrected, anyway, the point is if you shop around a bit you can find one in your price range of 450