Yeah, I'm mechanic by trade so tapping and Loctite are nothing new. You think breaking a tap off in a trunion is bad, try breaking one off in a cylinder head. Better yet, break an EZ out and then try to drill it. I appreciate your reply, good to see the pipe guide works good. I was curious as to the biggest difference between the 5.45 and 5.56 guides K Var sells and the pipe guide.

yeah the pipe works very well. . make sure to bevel the front edge of the guide (the edge close to the mag) so the sharp edge will not damage the bullet as it is stripped from the mag and pushed into the chamber, but be careful not to make the bevel too shallow or the bullet will not be lifted up enough soon enough and will hit the chamber face. Ive heard the bullet guides you get from k-var require a lot of modification (grinding) to get them to fit properly

some people have put a second bevel on the back edge (egde close to the chamber face) so that the guide will slide under the chamber face a little to help hold it in place. I dont think its necessary but...to each his own.

you being quite mechanically inclined should have no problem with this little project

good luck!

HOOP

Thechnically the strap is easier since you only cut it once, but pipe works fine. I liked the thing being a little thicker, and all the pipe I tried was thin. Once you got it tapped, if you decide to remake the ramp part, its hardly anything.

Thechnically the strap is easier since you only cut it once, but pipe works fine.  I liked the thing being a little thicker, and all the pipe I tried was thin.  Once you got it tapped, if you decide to remake the ramp part, its hardly anything.

the pipe i finally settled on had an 1/8" thick wall. i didnt not test this but it looked as though anything much bigger than that the bolt would not clear it to make contact with the chamber face

im not too familiar with the strap method. i just went with what worked/sounded best to me. if you guys have a better way, awesome, spread the word!

like the guy that modded mags with a screw to fill the gap in the front mag lip. It seems we are all in a "constant state of improvement" mode. I LOVE IT!!

I used 1/4" strap and ground it down until the bolt just cleared, worked out to close to 3/16" or so. Pipe worked but the bent strap one improved feeding of hollowpoints on mine. 223 is more fickle to feed than the other calibers.

223 is more fickle to feed than the other calibers.

i had heard that about the 223, i would assume for no other reason than the bullet is much smaller. unfortuneately i have never had to opportunity to try one out for myself. maybe one of these days ill be able to et my hands on a 223, heck...why not an s12 too while im at it. i need to work on completing my saiga family