ak-74 triangular folder

I got one of these a few weeks back (Bulgarian triangle folder) for my next conversion. http://dpharms.com/ Before I got it, I already had a TWS dog leg rail that I want to use. From what I gather so far, it seems most folks have these folders installed by gunsmiths because of the machining that needs to be done to the receiver for the locking mechanism. And I may be wrong, but it looks like the rear tang on my receiver needs to be cut off to install the folder, which looks like I wouldn't be able to install the dog leg rail, because the rear of the rail screws down through the tang to hold it in place.

Has anyone on here installed one of these? I like to work on/ build my own shit, bad enough knowing that I gotta have my receiver smithed, let alone the possibility of not being able to use my TWS rail.

Oh well, if I can't use the rail, then it looks like I'll have to buy/restore another. Thanks for any info.

Edited by fffpatriot

I got one of these a few weeks back (Bulgarian triangle folder) for my next conversion. http://dpharms.com/ Before I got it, I already had a TWS dog leg rail that I want to use. From what I gather so far, it seems most folks have these folders installed by gunsmiths because of the machining that needs to be done to the receiver for the locking mechanism. And I may be wrong, but it looks like the rear tang on my receiver needs to be cut off to install the folder, which looks like I wouldn't be able to install the dog leg rail, because the rear of the rail screws down through the tang to hold it in place.

Has anyone on here installed one of these? I like to work on/ build my own shit, bad enough knowing that I gotta have my receiver smithed, let alone the possibility of not being able to use my TWS rail.

Oh well, if I can't use the rail, then it looks like I'll have to buy/restore another. Thanks for any info.

You cannot use the current gen 1 TWS rail with the triangle folder.HOWEVER: Gen 2 is right around the corner....

4320744829_907b89ecfa_m.jpg

(Picture from another thread on another forum, but you get the idea).

Edited by bigsal

You cannot use the current gen 1 TWS rail with the triangle folder.HOWEVER: Gen 2 is right around the corner....

That rail in the picture is different than both of the TWS dog leg rails I have, It doesn't have the rear locking clasp like mine do. But yea, I get the idea from the picture, I guess I won't be able to use it.

That rail in the picture is different than both of the TWS dog leg rails I have, It doesn't have the rear locking clasp like mine do. But yea, I get the idea from the picture, I guess I won't be able to use it.

Yes as I mentioned in my above post, the unit pictured is the GEN 2. You have the GEN 1.

I would sell your gen 1 and wait a few weeks for tws to begin selling their gen 2 units. Then you will be able to have your cake (the triangle folder) and eat it to!

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

Yes as I mentioned in my above post, the unit pictured is the GEN 2. You have the GEN 1.

I would sell your gen 1 and wait a few weeks for tws to begin selling their gen 2 units. Then you will be able to have your cake (the triangle folder) and eat it to!

Thanks Big Sal. I guess I'll play the waitin' game. Do you know of any tutorials for installing the folder?

• Like 1

Thanks Big Sal. I guess I'll play the waitin' game. Do you know of any tutorials for installing the folder?

Here is a step by step:

1: Send rifle and stock along with mounting hardware to Troy Sellers at In-Range

2: Pay Troy Sellers at In-Range

3: Receive Rifle

:smoke:

Though the DPH folders look pretty authentic, there have been some complaints about soft metal (the trunnion can crush during riveting). Before you go through the expense/time of adding it, you may want to seriously consider having the trunnion and latch hardened properly.

To install, you'll need to completely replace the whole rear trunnion, and cut a few new holes and reprofile the rear of the receiver slightly. It's do-able with home equipment but not for the faint of heart.

Here's a template...

AKS-74 Side Folder Receiver Template.pdf

Edited by rob-cubed

Though the DPH folders look pretty authentic, there have been some complaints about soft metal (the trunnion can crush during riveting). Before you go through the expense/time of adding it, you may want to seriously consider having the trunnion and latch hardened properly.

To install, you'll need to completely replace the whole rear trunnion, and cut a few new holes and reprofile the rear of the receiver slightly. It's do-able with home equipment but not for the faint of heart.

Here's a template...

Thank you rob-cubed. I'm gonna sell it and get me an Ace.

• 1 month later...

Here's a template...

This template looks like it will be great for my needs. I have all the parts to do an AK74 traingle stock install except the rear trunnion with hinge. Know where to find one of these. It appears K-Var is complete out and short of buying an entirely new rifle with the folder already installed I can't find the trunnions anywhere

Gen 2 is right around the corner....

What is that, a milled or billet dust cover with integrated rail? Do you have any more info on it?

TWS is suposed to be introducing it to market soon. They have a thread over on ar15.com.