might have messed up replaing my rear sight, need advice....

I recently bought a RPK 1000m rear sight to replace the stock Saiga 300 m one on my ifle. Getting the stock one off was easy enough, just a tap with a flat screwdriver thru a rag at the front of it in the groove, and it popped right off.

The problem was putting the new RPK sight on. I looked at numerous you tube videos and read numerous sites, and since i didnt have a drill press, which seems to be the best way to get another one back on, used another method, put a rag on it, held it at a 40% angle to line up the grooves and the 2 small pegs, and gave it a good tap with a rubber mallet. it worked, kind of...

Its on, and the pegs are in the holes, but the whole sight just flops forward and back. Its like the leaf spring under it doesnt push up from below the sight at all. It LOOKS like the leaf is in the right place, but the sight just flops, and I KNOW thats not right. I'm way up in the mountains, cant get it to a shop to be fixed, what do you all recommend?

How do I know if the leaf spring is in the right position if I take it all apart again? It just kind of sits there...the fatter end fits into a semicircular place that is right, and that part IS in place. I just cant tell if I wacked the other end down a bit too low to not put enough pressure on the sight to tighten it up from flopping about...

It sure LOOKS in the right place, but is NOT making contact with the bottom of the sight at all...is this right?

thanks, all...

Edited by icefire

The same thing happened to me on two occasions. To fix, I took the sight and spring off, reinserted the spring, and put the sight back on. You may have to try a few times to get it right. I really don't understand why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

In any event, you haven't done irreparable harm to the gun...

The same thing happened to me on two occasions. To fix, I took the sight and spring off, reinserted the spring, and put the sight back on. You may have to try a few times to get it right. I really don't understand why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks, just the answer I ws hoping for...I'll take it apart again...Do you have any better way of getting that sight back in? It seems like I will need a drill press or a gorilla, neither of which are handy right now...or just whack it carefully at the angle again?

Thanks, just the answer I ws hoping for...I'll take it apart again...Do you have any better way of getting that sight back in? It seems like I will need a drill press or a gorilla, neither of which are handy right now...or just whack it carefully at the angle again?

It can be a pain in the ass, but yeah Jim D said it best pretty much. Just play with the spring and break out the screwdriver again. Try and put some oil or grease on there if it's really being a pain, maybe that will help too.

yeah, on my days off I'll remove it and try again. It seems as if the leaf is not putting any pressure upward on the sight at all. The sight posts can move up and down in the holes freely, and the whole thing will just flop forward and back. The weird thing is, it seems as if the leaf is in the exact place it was with the stock sight, and looking at the bottom of both sight, they look the same on the bottom of that area....

In the CSS video, the sight came right off with the ruler, mine took a hard whack with a wrapped screwdriver, and was REALLY in there. AS for putting the new one in, it wouldnt just snap in like that beryl rail did, I could not get the end of the leaf to push down at all. With anything I had. So, I wrapped a mallet, held it at the right angle for the posts to go down the little channels, and whacked it. they went down, the post are in the holes, but....see above...loose as can be. I realize that worse case scenario here would just to have to buy another leaf spring, but I cant for the life of me figure out why this one isnt putting upward presure on the bottom of the sight!..its not bent or damaged in any way...

one thing that IS weird is that there are no guide grooves or machined stops for that leaf to stay in tthe right place...the fat part of the leaf has a dent in it that fits into a small dent in the sight mount, and that is in place. the other end can fall down lower if you are not careful...Am I missing something here? is the front of this leaf supposed to be on a lip or something to hold it in place?

I'll try again in a few days, I'm not near my rifle right now... I dont think its the machining of the sight, I've seen others on this forum with the east german RPK sights on their guns with no issues....

EDIT: I have found on another forum that sometimes using the mallet method to get the sight back on you bend the leaf spring just enough to not put pressure on the sight. . According to those sites, I need to remove the sight, bend the spring up a bit more again, and try again, so, I will....

Edited by icefire