What scope for 308 Saiga?

In November 2004 I purchased a 308 Saiga with a 16 inch barrel. Recently I had it converted to pistol grip configuration. Now I want to buy a suitable scope for it. My primary application is plinking such as cans and plastic bottles at 100 - 200 yards and occasional bullseye target shooting. If zombies attack I would like to be able to reach out and touch a zombie from a safe distance.

So what scope do I buy for it?

I currently have a tough as nails Beeman Blue Label SS2 3x21 scope that has great optics. I can probably get at least $200 if I sell it. One option is to keep it and use it with the Saiga. My initial reaction was to buy a POSP 6x42 scope which goes for around $125. Then I saw a PO 3.5x21 elcan style scope which goes for around $300 and was really impressed with it. Is the 3.5x21 overkill for the Saiga? I believe that it is calibrated for 5.45x39 cartridge so do all the range finding markings on the reticle have any usefulness?

What are your recommendations for a scope. I don't want an el cheapo scope like BSA and am willing to go as high as $300 (gee, that's more than I paid for the rifle).

Thanks for your help.

I have a 6x42 POSP on mine. I am a big fan of these scopes. My 6x42 is very clear but also very heavy. Also, I still think that 6x is a little much for sub 200m. I recommend a Romanian PSO 4x24 and the correct rail from http://www.kalinkaoptics.com. The Romanian is not illuminated therefore much lighter. If you get a PSO/POSP make sure you get one calibrated to 7.62x54R so the bullet drop compensation will be very close.

I have used MANY BSA optics, and to date have had ZERO problems!!

I currently have a BSA platinum on my savage, and it consistently gets me SUB .5" groups at 100M!!!

For a plinker rifle like the saiga .308, why spend more money than you NEED TO... to get a DECENT scope that will do the job?

Just my 2 cents, I know you dont like them.. personally, I think they kick ass for the price.

:smoke:

i have a 3-9X40 Burris on mine. burris has awsome optics. clarity it perfect. but if i was to do it again, i would get a 16+ magnification. i dont know what kind ofdistances your shooting, but i know how i shoot it would have been nice to have a little more. definetly not more than 20 or so X just because after thet your not doing alot with your $300 gun. not exactly a precisin piece of weapontry, but it gets the job done.

I have the Kalinka 8x42 on my 16" .308 and it shoots great! The front mount was cracked when I bought it (used) and when I ordered a replacement it was at my door in three days. Customer service is way above what you might expect these days!

I've had a BSA 30mm red dot on my FA91 .308 for three months and 200rds. Too early to see how it's going to hold up. Just as accurate as the Simmons 2.5-10x

I had on it but much faster and easier to hit what your aming at.

I have one on a 10/22, and so far, its been exceptional. Mind you, Its one of the cheaper scopes, I think I paid like 40 bucks for it... its made for the 22...Also there is no recoil on the 22... but its a good looking scope, and holds zero very nicely. The optics are clear and sharp...the reticle is decently fine...unlike the NCSTAR scope I got for my SKS which has horrendously WIDE reticle crosshairs.

I was also going to get one of their better models, with the illuminated reticle, and all the whistles and bells... Just didnt have the cash at that time, nor the URGENT need to purchase...

I would say GO FOR IT!!! You might get a hell of a nice scope for a reasonable price!

:smoke: