308 Saiga or FAL

About how much more does a typical FAL weigh empty (no optics, rails, etc) vs a converted Saiga 308 empty (again with no optics, rails, etc)??

the STG-58 weighs 10.4lb bare ass naked

Damn that's heavy. I'd guess my Saiga weighs somewhere around 8lbs give or take a couple ounces bare...

It seems that owning guns is nothing more than personal compromises to suit each individuals needs. I don't think I'll buy another .308 rifle. I think I'll buy an AR down the line and that'll be it for rifles.

About how much more does a typical FAL weigh empty (no optics, rails, etc) vs a converted Saiga 308 empty (again with no optics, rails, etc)??

the STG-58 weighs 10.4lb bare ass naked

Damn that's heavy. I'd guess my Saiga weighs somewhere around 8lbs give or take a couple ounces bare...

It seems that owning guns is nothing more than personal compromises to suit each individuals needs. I don't think I'll buy another .308 rifle. I think I'll buy an AR down the line and that'll be it for rifles.

The STG-58 has steel handguards and a bipod. This is part of the overall weight. Some of them are lighter, depending on barrel length and stock. Some even have an alumium lower reciever, mine is steel. It shoulders great and is a natutal pointer and I have no problem with the weight.

Edited by Banshee

If you are going to be toting the rifle out in the field the FAL can get heavy but its balanced well so the wieght isnt bad really. Ive had more problems with Saigas using Russian mounts/scopes that really add some weight when using hi-cap mags.

Something to think about. Right from DSA's website

WE RECOMAND NOT USING THE FOLLOWING LIST OF AMMUNITION IN OUR DS-ZM4 .223cal RIFLES OR THE SA58/FAL 308cal RIFLES

Any steel case Russian Ammunition

Any steel case Chinese Ammunition

Chilian 7.62 marked "NATO"

CAVIM 7.62 Venezuela

CBC 7.62 Brazil

Indian 7.62 from State Factory

1970's production Israeli 7.62 Browning machinegun ammunition

This ammunition can cause failures or damage the rifle/s. If in question call and ask for one of our thechnicians

I cant speak for all of the ammo mentioned but my Saiga eats up Russian and Chinese steel case ammo without a hickup. I dont think I could afford to shoot the $1/1round ammo all the time.

WE RECOMAND NOT USING THE FOLLOWING LIST OF AMMUNITION IN OUR DS-ZM4 .223cal RIFLES OR THE SA58/FAL 308cal RIFLES

CAVIM 7.62 Venezuela

CBC 7.62 Brazil

This ammunition can cause failures or damage the rifle/s. If in question call and ask for one of our thechnicians

I cant speak for all of the ammo mentioned but my Saiga eats up Russian and Chinese steel case ammo without a hickup. I dont think I could afford to shoot the $1/1round ammo all the time.

Yet another reason to buy an S308 :super:If I was wealthy, it'd be an FAL and an S308...but since I'm not wealthy, I'll be perfectly content with my S308 eating anything I put into her.:killer:

CAVIM 7.62 Venezuela

CBC 7.62 Brazil

You get pretty much the same list on the Springfield M1A these rifles can be selective on what ammo to use. Steel case is pretty much out and a lot of the mil-surp brass listed is known to be of lower quality, I wouldn't buy some of those anyway. But then again thats why we love our S308, anything short of rocks is fair game but even then it still works better with good ammo.

This purchase is on hold until I get my S-12 sold and my Bull Pup fixed :(

I don't want another "iron in the fire" right now.

Thanks for all the info and I would appreciate it if we still discussed this topic.

Lots of info can't be a bad thing for me :)

Well, I think it really comes down to what you want to spend, and what you're using it for. I think for most applications, the S308 will fulfill everything the FAL will, and will be cheaper to purchase and shoot, plus will be easier to maintain. I may be way off base, but I think the S308 is one of the best bang for buck you can buy. (no pun intended)