Magazine Design

Being new to the S-12, I'm exploring what is going to work well in 3-gun competition. I have three (3) Surefire 12 round magazines, the MD Arms 20 round drum and an original Saiga magazine that came with the shotgun. What I find interesting is the critical area at the top of the magazine.

The Saiga magazine has a metal reinforced neck and all of the others are just plastic. Since my mag changes are usually done by dropping the magazine to the ground, I'm concerned about cracking or breaking this critical area. The shells will be at that end making it heavy and it's going to slam into the ground lips first.

Is anybody considering building an extended magazine of at least 12 rounds that mimics the Russian design?

HH

MD-20 is reinforced with steel like the Russians I it's strong enough to run after being ran over in a truck 11 times.

A lot of competition people tend to make frankenmags & run magwells though for quick change.

A magwell greatly strengthens whole assembly, so people don't seem to have the issues that you're foreseeing.

ETA;

Here's how the MD-20's been tested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WA2MjeBzU0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzU5naPQMbg&feature=related

Edited by Paulyski

Why would you drop a loaded mag in a three gun competition?

Because the stage designers around here usually have a group of targets separated by a distance and then another group of targets. Movement between shooting positions allows for reloads on the run. Ejecting a partially empty mag and replacing it with a full one while transitioning between shooting positions versus shooting the gun "dry" and doing a standing reload normally results in a faster time.

HH

• Like 1

Why would you drop a loaded mag in a three gun competition?

Because the stage designers around here usually have a group of targets separated by a distance and then another group of targets. Movement between shooting positions allows for reloads on the run. Ejecting a partially empty mag and replacing it with a full one while transitioning between shooting positions versus shooting the gun "dry" and doing a standing reload normally results in a faster time.

HH

Thanks for the info. I learn something new every day,032.gif