My gun is a Saiga-12 with the 22" fixed full choke barrel.

Remington Slugger shells say on the box that they may be fired through any choke. I tried five at the 100 yard line and another five at the 50 yard line. Because the box shows about a 2.2" drop at the fifty yard line and a 10.5-plus drop at the 100 yard line, I aimed high. In both cases the targets were untouched, and I was unable to determine where the slugs were hitting.

Has anyone on here had any experience in adjusting the sight rib for slugs? If so, what was your experience?

By the way, although the recoil with 2&3/4 target loads is very pleasant, the recoil with these slug rounds was pretty stiff. I'd rate it up there with my Russian Mosin M44. It was certainly more stout than the recoil from my 30-06 M1 Garand. So, no, I don't expect to regularly shoot slugs through it. But I'd like to know that when needed I could do so with reasonable accuracy.

Thanks, all.

lynnkcircle@netscape.net :super:

Don't know about the sight rib. I cut mine off.

I have often wondered if a PSOP scope could be adjusted to accurately shoot slugs at 50 & 100 yards. Then again, I'm not sure, at what or why I would be doing shooting slugs at 100 yards

:huh:

First time with open sites - I suggest shooting at 25yards at a plain sheet of paper. Once you're on the paper you can toy with adjustments of the vent rib up front for elevation. Never start at 50 or 100 yards to try to zero a fixed sight.

FYI- my Saiga fixed sights were right on to 25 yards with slugs - remington sluggers. Then I moved into the optics and found my side mount arm was off be about 10degrees from point of aim. Luckily, I moved to a russian Cobra red-dot setup that allowed me to adjust that gross error out and now I can put about 5 shots into a 5" circle at 50yards. I consider that pretty good for a red-dot sight. I tried some cheap red-dot sights on it and they didn't have the range to correct for the huge missalignment of the mount.

Start at 25 yards and get on paper.

First time with open sites - I suggest shooting at 25yards at a plain sheet of paper.  Once you're on the paper you can toy with adjustments of the vent rib up front for elevation.  Never start at 50 or 100 yards to try to zero a fixed sight.

FYI- my Saiga fixed sights were right on to 25 yards with slugs - remington sluggers.  Then I moved into the optics and found my side mount arm was off be about  10degrees from point of aim.  Luckily, I moved to a russian Cobra red-dot setup that allowed me to adjust that gross error out and now I can put about 5 shots into a 5" circle at 50yards.  I consider that pretty good for a red-dot sight.  I tried some cheap red-dot sights on it and they didn't have the range to correct for the huge missalignment of the mount.

post-700-1115444405_thumb.jpg

post-700-1115444427_thumb.jpg

You have to like to Carbon 15 just for lack of weight and great accuracy;

I like the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 because it has 9mm +PP power and with a simple 6x scope I can tear out a 3" target at 25 and sometimes 50yards and shoot 45 rounds per minute.

I like the Glocks for accuracy and the best hand piece I have is the Tangfolio Witness-P 45. That thing outshoots all my H&K's, Glocks, and every other expensive piece of metal I have.

The Taurus I like just because I can shoot 45ACP +P out of a 3" barrel and still be somewhat accurate at 25yards. (carry along with my P11 Kel-Tec).

First time with open sites - I suggest shooting at 25yards at a plain sheet of paper.  Once you're on the paper you can toy with adjustments of the vent rib up front for elevation.  Never start at 50 or 100 yards to try to zero a fixed sight.

FYI- my Saiga fixed sights were right on to 25 yards with slugs - remington sluggers.  Then I moved into the optics and found my side mount arm was off be about  10degrees from point of aim.  Luckily, I moved to a russian Cobra red-dot setup that allowed me to adjust that gross error out and now I can put about 5 shots into a 5" circle at 50yards.  I consider that pretty good for a red-dot sight.  I tried some cheap red-dot sights on it and they didn't have the range to correct for the huge missalignment of the mount.

My problem is the range I use has a combat shotgun range at about 15 yards. But only handguns and .22 rifles are permitted at the 25 yard line. (Found that out when I went to zero a scout-scope on a Russian 7.62.54. The only thing they would say about beginning at the twenty-five yard range was "No, no, no." (American Shooting Center -- also doesn't allow rapid fire, draw and firing, etc. But they are so professionally managed that the negatives become pretty minor)

Next week I'll try the slugs at the 15 yard shotgun range and see what I get. Thanks to everyone who responded.