Saiga Rulez All!!!

So I finally got to the range for an awesome day with my guns. My goal was to finish breaking them in and figure out their limitations and my own limitations with each of them. I've had all my guns for a while, but only have put 250 through each pistol and about 25 through my Saiga. This weekend I got both pistols up to 500 Rounds, and put 100 through my Saiga. I got some cleaning and lubing to do, but am amazed at the results and very happy with my guns thus far.

The P-3AT Kel-tec had been giving me issues for awhile with jamming, and I was debating selling it for a Kahr. I will say, the Kahr is a nicer gun, but at twice the price it should be. I'm still thinking I'll eventually get one, but can't afford it yet and adjusted to the limitations of my Kel-tec. It is a great little gun as long as domed bullets are used at close range. The cheap Winchesters will jam it everytime, and Federal HydraShocks will jam 1 of 6. It's light, small, affordable, concealable, but definately not good for anything over ~10 yards. However, at 10 yards every round is upper torso, and 5-7 yrds every round will be CoM. I installed the Hogue Jr. Slip-on Grip and that helped a lot in handling the gun with only 2 fingers. I also installed the P-sight with the Day-Sight & Glo Paints, but this didn't do much. The paint came off quickly, and it's hard to get consistant patterns due to a short barrel and the fact that the sights are "painted on" and not zeroed. Also, the paint comes off came off after about . This is a great backup gun, and not a bad gun period if you don't expect too much and realize it's one to be pointed, not aimed.

The H&K USP45c has never given me a problem, except costing a ton and being low-capacity only. I shot from the bench and my best was 6/8 in a 2" center-to center at 25yards (the other 2 rounds were about 3" off the rest). I can't do it from a weaver, but at my best from 10 yards I to put 4/8 into over-lapping holes using a weaver stance, with the other 4 not far. I want to shoot a Kimber to confirm that it deserves the reputation as the most accurate non-modified, carry gun. My only complaints are cost and low-capacity. Everything else about it I love, though it's starting to get to the size that it's too big to use as a CCW. I looked at the Taurus 24/7, and must say it seems an amazing gun. It's $350 for a .40 that holds 14+1, and is roughly the same size as the H&K in length, about a quarter of an inch taller, and a tad thicker, so it'd be pushing it for CCW, but an awesome defense weapon that could be concealed if needed.

The most amazing by far was the Saiga. Holy crap, now I know what everyone is raving about. I began by loading light-bird shot and learned that I can tear through my 8 rounds in about 2 seconds and keep them on target. I also greatly improved my reloading time: I was being too gentle re-loading magazines. By pushing the magazine in to the gun, then rocking it into place, it goes quickly and easily. After changing the gas ports, I loaded non-recoil reduced slugs and overlapped a group of 5 rounds at 25 yards. I shot about 25 slugs, then borrowed the Binelli semi-auto that the guy in the neighboring lane had. It holds 8 in the tube and is recoil operated. I must say, It's an impressive gun, and should never jam, but I shot 5 rounds of non-reduced recoil slugs from his gun and now have a bruise on my shoulder exactly the width of his recoil pad. It hurt like hell! After my gun was broken in, I had no issues ejecting with heavy or light loads, so I trust it to be nearly as reliable as the Binelli, but know it to be more accurate, have much less recoil, cost less, reload faster, and have the tactical practicality of a PG. Not to mention the respect people gave me when I pulled out an AK that belched ~.72cal slugs and spewed 12-gauge bird faster than they went through their 9mm rounds. All I have to say is SAIGAS KICK ASS!!!! :super:

many guys forget the other two things about the s12.

it WILL NEVER FAIL if loaded and broken in properly. load those old rusted up duck shells you ruined when you were twelve. this gun will bark away, and almost laugh at you for even thinking you can jam it. you really have to TRY to jam it to get it to fail.

drop it in a creek for ten minutes, then put it on your gun rack without cleaning it for a month. there shouldnt be much rust on it AT ALL. if any.

dont forget that, dude.......

I haven't had any problems with my saiga 12 except when I shot certain light loads with the magnum setting. Which should be a given(since it is the magnum setting), yet other light loads worked fine, and I haven't even broke mine in yet.

I had a friend who supposedly had some problems with his saiga at a 3gun match, yet he didn't even remember them... some Benelli purist was saying he had all kinds of problems, but I think that was just BS he was making up because he has an un-natural hatred of AK firearms. All I know was that my friend did have the forearm on his Saiga come loose, due to the retaining screw working it's way out. So I would suggest using some locktite or a lock washer to keep that from happening.

Oh, and I have an HK USP 45F.... and I hate it. It has the worst trigger pull of any pistol I have ever shot. I picked up a Sig 226 and it has one of the most consistant and slickest trigger pulls I've seen. I'm sure the HK is quite accurate, but if you can't pull the trigger consistantly and comfortably then what's the point? The USP was my first pistol, and it is great in every other respect besides the trigger (controls, ergonomics, fit and finish). I tried out a USP Tactical, and was suprised at how utterly crappy that trigger was as well. I've pretty much given up on HK. If you want a good german "uber" gun, then choose a sig. (except the sigpro, bleacch!)