Reloading ogive length for Saiga 7.62 x 39

if i was testing accuracy of my reloads vs. that of factory ammo in my 7.62x39mm rifles i would start with properly sized .311 bullets instead of undersized .308 bullets before I started playing with cartridge overall length, seating to the lands, etc., etc.

if i was testing accuracy of my reloads vs. that of factory ammo in my 7.62x39mm rifles i would start with properly sized .311 bullets instead of undersized .308 bullets before I started playing with cartridge overall length, seating to the lands, etc., etc.

+1 to that... .311 should give you better performance than .308... you can always slug the bore if you are not sure... Load to standard COL and go for it. If you can seat to JUST a few thousandths off the lands, thats where you would want to in a target/varmint rifle... In the saiga? Well... I am hate to tell you... spending a LOT of time and effort trying to fine tune the loads for the X39... is pretty much WASTING your time.

The Saiga X39 is NOT going to give you much better than 2 MOA... I highly doubt you will be able to make any difference with your reloads compared to factory purchased ammunition that will allow you to shoot much better than that. *MAYBE* 1 MOA... but I am willing to be that is going to be due to pure luck, more so than any significantly, and continually repeatable ammo loading. If you CAN... *NEVER* SELL THAT RIFLE! :up:

If you had a rifle capable of less than MOA shooting, I would say "SURE! try what ya can to tighten up the groups" but with the Saiga... just shoot it. Try a few different types of ammo, and yes, of course your reloads...just dont over think it.

Good luck!! :up:

:smoke: