V-plug vs Saiga 12 Tac. Regulating System

I am not starting this thread to start any crap between two companies. I think MD Arms and Tac-47 are great companies that make great products and both Mike and Jarred are awesome to speak with in person. These are just my observations of both of their hand adjustable gas plugs for the Saiga 12.

V-plug: Pros: Appears to be well made and machined out of solid steel. Easy to adjust by hand without any tools. Easy to install. 5 different gas settings. Instructions on how to use. And I was able to fire everything from Federal 4 shot 1320 FPS, Federal 6 shot 1290 FPS, Remington 6 shot 1390 FPS, and Remington 71/2 shot target loads 1220 FPS.

Cons: Knob is a little oversized and rubs against barrel during installation. Counter bored on the outside of the plug a little too deep IMHO. And recess is a little deep on the inside of plug which makes cleaning a little difficult.

Saiga 12 T.R.G.S.

Pros: Again made well and seems to be machined out of solid piece of steel. Good knurling on adjustment knob. 4 settings. A little heavier than V-plug, the counter bore is not as deep. And recess is not as deep on the inside of plug which is easier to clean.

Cons: 4 settings compared to 5 on V-plug. No instructions came with the plug. And again handled everything mentioned above when on proper setting. A little difficult to adjust because the recesses for the detent pin are a little deeper than the V-plug. But some copper anitseize on recesses and on the threads helps for both plugs.

In my opinion, both are good plugs, and are well worth the money. I lean more in favor of the Saiga 12 T.R.G.S. because of the counter bore is not as deep and makes the wall thicker. And it is easier to clean with the inside recess not as deep as the V-plug. I favor the V-plug because it has 5 settings instead of four and right now at a price of $20 with free shipping, you can't go wrong.

But either plug is worth the money for those who want more variety out of their Saiga-12's. I have to say that I don't usually go below #4 or #6 shot out of my Saiga. #4 shot is what we used on the department. However if TSHTF, 00 buck, slugs, and drum mags will come in handy to hold off the swarms of zombies. Punching out and hope this helps.

Thanks

I like the original Gunfixer plug. I honestly don't see a need for more than 3 settings (which is essentially low-medium-high). Are you really going to sit around analyzing the difference between the #4 and the #5 settings on one of these new plugs? If more settings are better, why not 11 settings? ("It goes to 11")

And as for the auto plugs.... first of all, I don't ever forsee a time when I will need to mix buck/slugs with birdshot all in the same mag. If I'm going to the range with target shot, I use setting #3. The rest of the time I can leave it on #1 for hunting or defense loads. It's just not that complicated. The second thing is, the auto plugs introduce more moving parts to clog, break, wear out, etc.

I'm not going to knock any other products, but the Gunfixer plug was the right product at the right time and it works just fine.

I like the original Gunfixer plug. I honestly don't see a need for more than 3 settings (which is essentially low-medium-high). Are you really going to sit around analyzing the difference between the #4 and the #5 settings on one of these new plugs? If more settings are better, why not 11 settings? ("It goes to 11")

And as for the auto plugs.... first of all, I don't ever forsee a time when I will need to mix buck/slugs with birdshot all in the same mag. If I'm going to the range with target shot, I use setting #3. The rest of the time I can leave it on #1 for hunting or defense loads. It's just not that complicated. The second thing is, the auto plugs introduce more moving parts to clog, break, wear out, etc.

I'm not going to knock any other products, but the Gunfixer plug was the right product at the right time and it works just fine.

I agree on the auto plug standpoint. The concept is definitely good but I personally like simplicity and the less parts I have to worry about wearing out and what not the better. I ended up going with the v-plug as it was manual and had the most settings so I could fool around with it a little more than the Gunfixer plug. It did rub against the barrel a little but it went right on for the most part.

The auto plug seems like a good thing, but only time will tell if it is as reliable as the ARGO system used by Benelli for the M4. I cannot comment on the Gunfixer plug as I do not have one nor have I seen one to make any comparison on. The Saiga 12 TRGS plug and the V-plug are quality products. There are things I like about both, things I don't like about both, and the more gas settings within reason, the better. Meaning you can have more variety in the types of ammo used. I intend to do some testing of both of these plugs with non lethal ammo, like bean bags, rubber rounds, and so on. So the need for more gas settings for these types of rounds is better than 3. I do not mix #4, #6, 00buck, or slugs in the same magazine. I merely mentioned that I keep #4 or #6 shot loaded for home defense. But if something bad really happens, like swarms or zombies attacking my dwelling, then I would have mags loaded with 00buck or slugs. Please do not confuse what I am saying. And right now, the V-plug with a cost of $20 plus free shipping, compared to the Saiga 12 TRGS plug at $29.99 plus $7 shipping, is the better deal.

Edited by NightArmory

The auto plug seems like a good thing, but only time will tell if it is as reliable as the ARGO system used by Benelli for the M4. I cannot comment on the Gunfixer plug as I do not have one nor have I seen one to make any comparison on. The Saiga 12 TRGS plug and the V-plug are quality products. There are things I like about both, things I don't like about both, and the more gas settings within reason, the better. Meaning you can have more variety in the types of ammo used. I intend to do some testing of both of these plugs with non lethal ammo, like bean bags, rubber rounds, and so on. So the need for more gas settings for these types of rounds is better than 3. I do not mix #4, #6, 00buck, or slugs in the same magazine. I merely mentioned that I keep #4 or #6 shot loaded for home defense. But if something bad really happens, like swarms or zombies attacking my dwelling, then I would have mags loaded with 00buck or slugs. Please do not confuse what I am saying. And right now, the V-plug with a cost of $20 plus free shipping, compared to the Saiga 12 TRGS plug at $29.99 plus $7 shipping, is the better deal.

Be prepared to do some port work for less lethal ammo.

Then you'll worry about tuning it DOWN for buck.

Way down,

i couldent agree more

• Like 1