My conversion list, what do i need for saiganov?

hey guys. now that CSS hooked me up with a fantastic rifle for a fantastic price, im ready to tally up all the parts im going to need for my second conversion! I did a 7.62 before, so if there are any differences i would be appreciative if someone could let me know beforehand. Now, i want to do a Saiganov conversion, however, im not sure i want to go complete PSL, i think i wanna make it more SVD type rifle.

so im looking for 2 stocks to chose from. this one

14562Saiga1-vi.jpg

or a stock similar to the NTW 20's stock. (if any of you are familiar with that rifle).

if anyone knows where i can find either of those, it would be greatly appreciated, im searching for them myself anyway, but it would make it easier.

I am also looking for a stock as close as i can get to a PSL's...preferably not wood, but if i have to settle for wood, where can i find it and does it have to be modified?

the rest of the rifle i want exactly as a dragunov. scope, mount, everything.

any help is much appreciated. Getting these things right are a lot of work, and i would just like to get an inventory of parts together before i buy the actual rifle.

Look up ATI or Choate Drag / PSL stock.. Cheaperthandirt has them for $60 or so..

Centerfiresystems has the WOOD PSL set with PSL handguard for $40.

The ATI will be easier to grip than the WOOD set as mentioned above.. (I had one and the GRIP part was FAT.. IMHO)

Both types just BOLT ON to Saiga's after you CONVERT (aka move the FCG forward)

Al

Only problem with the Romanian set from Centerfire is parts count because its all imported. From what I have read at least, the ATF does consider that stock to have a pistol grip due to the angle of the grip. So 922r applies and I think the only way to make parts count is to use some US parts in your magazines if you are using that entire set. An alternative would be get that set just for the stock and order handguards from Ironwood but they wouldn't match unless you refinished the stock which sort of defeats the purpose...

• 2 weeks later...

Only problem with the Romanian set from Centerfire is parts count because its all imported.

This is the style I'm going for with my 7.62 Saiga, I found this stock at centerfire: http://www.centerfiresystems.com/saigaextendablestock.aspx

That is correct though you'll have it'll up your parts count to 15 on the rifle and 2 of those will be imported.

I like the fact that this is an adjustable stock whereas all the other dragunov style stocks I have found are a set length and I'm concerned they won't fit me well.

Only problem with the Romanian set from Centerfire is parts count because its all imported.

That is correct though you'll have it'll up your parts count to 15 on the rifle and 2 of those will be imported.

The stock I linked to actually is a US part. Granted it also costs half what I paid for my rifle....

I can't tell if it would be useable with the trigger moved forward on the rifle like is done on conversions.

Parts count with the Romanian stock won't matter, because its not considered a pistol grip. It will still be in 'sporting' configuration with the PSL stock, as long as you're using the 8 round magazine. If you're using a larger magazine, which are all US made, that's 3 US parts, and your FCG will be another 3 parts.

I would also not recommend the ATI stock, its awful. Check out a Choate stock, if you're going the polymer route.