Laser Boresight for the 410

I'm looking for a laser boresighter for the 410. I see some one-size-fits-all models, but I've heard they're not as good as chambered. Only 410 chambered boresight I can find is over $200, though. Anyone have a recommendation for a chambered 410 boresight that's more affordable?

Or maybe there's a way to adapt a smaller caliber boresight to a 410 hull and make it fit a 410 chamber?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Koljec

Haven't ordered a bore sight for me yet, but the .44 Mag is about as close as I can easily find. I have heard the .45 Colt and .444 Marlin is close also, but have not seen a bore sights for these.

.410 Bore = .410 inches (10.4 mm)

.44 Magnum = .457 inches (11.6 mm)

.444 Marlin = .4706 inches (11.95 mm)

.45 Colt = .480 inches (12.2 mm)

Maybe someone out there has actually tried one of these bore sights in a .410?

So if I wanted to try dropping a boresight into a 410 hull, I'd need to go smaller, with a .38 or 40S&W (both 10mm, I think?)? I wonder how well that .4mm difference would fit...

Haven't ordered a bore sight for me yet, but the .44 Mag is about as close as I can easily find. I have heard the .45 Colt and .444 Marlin is close also, but have not seen a bore sights for these.

.410 Bore = .410 inches (10.4 mm)

.44 Magnum = .457 inches (11.6 mm)

.444 Marlin = .4706 inches (11.95 mm)

.45 Colt = .480 inches (12.2 mm)

Maybe someone out there has actually tried one of these bore sights in a .410?

The measurements are outside diameter. I don't know what a .410 hull inside diameter is. I would expect them all to be a little different, depending on the manufacturer of the shell, and you may have a hard time keeping it perfectly straight when you try to adapt one to a hull.

I did get a snug fit on a live .44 Mag round I borrowed from a buddy. I am going to order a laser bore sight for .44 Mag (.444 Marlin available as well) from Cheaper Than Dirt, along with some more Golden Bear Buckshot.

i'll be interested to hear how it works. thanks for the ideas.

The measurements are outside diameter. I don't know what a .410 hull inside diameter is. I would expect them all to be a little different, depending on the manufacturer of the shell, and you may have a hard time keeping it perfectly straight when you try to adapt one to a hull.

I did get a snug fit on a live .44 Mag round I borrowed from a buddy. I am going to order a laser bore sight for .44 Mag (.444 Marlin available as well) from Cheaper Than Dirt, along with some more Golden Bear Buckshot.

I have the Bushnell Laser Boresighter and functions just fine in my 410 when I have it scoped; ~$30

I've never used a chambered boresight so I can't compare; however, the first scoped slug shot (final zeroing) has been deadnuts on windage with only a small elevation adjustment needed - most likely due to my inexperience with sighting a scope for various distances.

I think the bushnell (or any equivalent 'universal') boresighter will get you really close to where you want it before having to live fire.

Thank you. I've seen the Bushnell but wasn't sure of the quality or results. I'd prefer a universal (so I can use it with the 308, too), but I'd heard some mixed reviews.

I have the Bushnell Laser Boresighter and functions just fine in my 410 when I have it scoped; ~$30

I've never used a chambered boresight so I can't compare; however, the first scoped slug shot (final zeroing) has been deadnuts on windage with only a small elevation adjustment needed - most likely due to my inexperience with sighting a scope for various distances.

I think the bushnell (or any equivalent 'universal') boresighter will get you really close to where you want it before having to live fire.

• 2 weeks later...

i'll be interested to hear how it works. thanks for the ideas.

I got my Sightmark .44 MAG Chamber Bore Sight (I may do a separate post w/ photos). The first thing I notice is it has no rim or lip like the .44 Mag round I have, it's just smooth all the way. I tried it for fit in my .410 without the batteries and it slipped in fairly easily. It went past the edge of the barrel some. I was afraid I was going to lose it in there, but it fell back out when I pointed the barrel up. I measured it with my micrometer against the .44 Mag round and a spent Golden Bear hull. Of course the bore sight is the same as the .44 Mag round I have (.456 inches). The Golden Bear hull measured .469 inches, about .010 inches bigger. I tried to measure the bore with the mic, but it was not accurate and measured over .470 inches.

The results:

The choked barrel of my .410 tapers down from over .470 inches to .390 inches at the muzzle. When I drop in the bore sight it falls down into the barrel about 1.7 inches, but still stays centered in the bore. It comes out easily after a minor amount of shaking with the barrel pointed up. After installing the very small batteries, it seemed to work just fine. I used it to dial in my halo scope at about 10 feet, but need to field test with slugs for results.

I may try the .45 ACP version. Spec says it's .480 inches.

Thanks for the update. I'll use your info next chance I get.

The choked barrel of my .410 tapers down from over .470 inches to .390 inches at the muzzle. When I drop in the bore sight it falls down into the barrel about 1.7 inches, but still stays centered in the bore. It comes out easily after a minor amount of shaking with the barrel pointed up. After installing the very small batteries, it seemed to work just fine. I used it to dial in my halo scope at about 10 feet, but need to field test with slugs for results.

I may try the .45 ACP version. Spec says it's .480 inches.

• 1 month later...

Does the boresight fit into the spent Golden Bear hull?

No, not using the .44 mag one I got.

.....I measured it with my micrometer against the .44 Mag round and a spent Golden Bear hull. Of course the bore sight is the same as the .44 Mag round I have (.456 inches). The Golden Bear hull measured .469 inches, about .010 inches bigger.....

• 3 weeks later...

When I sighted my .410 for slugs, I noticed that my iron sights worked well for birdshot, but slugs were hitting up and to the left of center quite a bit. Like 6" left and 9" up, or something like that. Does that mean that a bore sight would not be so helpful. I have the 19" barrel, Dinzag '74 style brake, brenneke silvers.

Forgot to mention that the range was 25 yards. Sighted in my Bushnell Trophy 1x conventionally.

I experienced the same up and left shift with my 410 at 25 yards using a variety of slugs -- golden bear, silver bear, remington sluggers....i'm not experienced enough to know if if was me or the gun. i had better luck at an indoor range with a paradox choke attached, but that was within 25 yards.

:unsure: