.308 problem mid conversion, HELP

hey guys, i just started my conversion. i did a 7.62 before and was under the impression that this would be the same. The FCG has no rivets holding it in place. where did they move them to? whats my first step once the rifle is stripped? help please. i already googled and youtubed. nothing.

The only thing holding the FCG are the GRAY pins... which is held by 'that wire'.. Lol

Once the wire is undone and you slide the pins OUT the guts will fall out per usual.

Make sure you remove the stock with the 3 screws.. :smoke:

The next step... is the rear-most rivet in the CLINTON PLATE.. then the 2 small welds in the middle of the plate (patience requried) and then the rivet closest to the mag release.

Paint bottom... re-assemble with the new G2 or FCG of your choice..

There are NO HOLES to fill on the 308's..

Albert

Edited by YWHIC

The only thing holding the FCG are the GRAY pins... which is held by 'that wire'.. Lol

Once the wire is undone and you slide the pins OUT the guts will fall out per usual.

Make sure you remove the stock with the 3 screws.. :smoke:

The next step... is the rear-most rivet in the CLINTON PLATE.. then the 2 small welds in the middle of the plate (patience requried) and then the rivet closest to the mag release.

Paint bottom... re-assemble with the new G2 or FCG of your choice..

There are NO HOLES to fill on the 308's..

Albert

OK i see "that spring", how the heck do i get this thing out...and do i need to reuse it? BTW thanks for the quick response al, youre a life saver as always!

No need to save the srping holding the CRAP.. if your using the retainer plate or something else..

Just bend it up near the FCG pin..

Would also hope you ordered a NEW disconnect with the NEW G2.. re-using the old is a PITA also..

Thanks.. I try..

Edited by YWHIC

Would also hope you ordered a NEW disconnect with the NEW G2.. re-using the old is a PITA also..

YWHIC is referring to the disconnecter spring.

I personally wonder why some people think it's such a PITA to re-use the brand new one that came with the rifle.

nalioth.

yes referring to the disc SPRING..

Getting the FCG apart is sometimes problematic for people.. for $1.50 you get a new one..

I save all my original FCG parts in case I happen to need something from the JUNK..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

this has been one of the most hands on skill challenging things ive ever had to do ever. And ive been a carpenter since about age 14. a lot of shit went wrong...but a dremel can fix ANYTHING. ive done the basic conversion drilling, installed an AR trigger guard that conflicted with pretty much everything on the rifle. the internal block being one of the main problems with it. i have to grind this thing down so the set screw on the AR guard doesnt interfere....which is taking forever...these things are made out of some hard stuff. ive cut, grinded, sanded, and finished my AR pistol grip for it...basically reshaped it...and it doesnt look too bad. im about to just install the trigger group and call it a night tho. im tired...and no where near finished. its coming along tho. NOTHING like the 7.62 was.

keep at it.. It will be worth..

putting AR stuff though on a 308 Saiga... :cryss::blues:

:lolol:

Al

Haha, i know. blasphemy. Trying to get something no one has tried to do before here. well...thats unrealistic...something NOT MANY people have done.

Hey you mentioned something to me about a safety a while back....ive got the whole trigger group together now...and the safety wont go on...did you say i need to file down the safety? its hitting the disconnector.

Okay so i figured out another problem i now have. Seems it all originates from these AR parts. What a surprise....putting the wrong parts in a rifle dont fit. haha. I mentioned one of the set screws in the way of the internal block....well the other set screw is holding the disconnector sideways...making everything twist up. The hammer isnt setting, the trigger isnt in the right position in the middle of the guard...and the hammer doesnt release unless you pull the trigger really hard. so i guess i wont get the FCG in today either. ill dremel the hell out of the AR trigger guard set screws tomorrow and see if it fixes it. At this point i can not WAIT for this thing to be over.

When you reinstall the safety lever and go to 'twist' in, notice where it hits the FCG 'Disconnect'..

You may need to take a hair off that 'center area' to get it to swing down.. (leave enough of the safety lever to hit the FGC leg on the one side)

Before you do that though, try pulling the trigger while at the same time as rotating the safety lever.

Here is pic.. (little fuzzy) but notice its only a HAIR filed on the one side/center, but the one side is still untouched to catch the FCG 'leg'..

post-8775-093905800 1286971198_thumb.jpg

Edited by YWHIC

Here is a 2nd pic for you to see.

The Green area is untouched.. so the safety still catches the FCG leg and works..

The Red area is where I filed abit off to get it to go around the 'disconnect'

post-8775-078959100 1286971728_thumb.jpg

Check yours for where it hits and just CAREFULLY do the same..

Al

Edited by YWHIC

Also.. you may need to spend $0.49/4pk at lowes/depot for 6mm flat washers to center the FCG..

post-8775-039364700 1286972120_thumb.jpg

Al

ok, since you posted that ill specify my new and hopefully LAST problem. see that right piece on your trigger? i dont know what to call this but the far right piece that sticks up...just the bottom of that angle is conflicting with a screw holding the front part of my trigger guard down (the one nearest the mag catch). i either need to file the screw or that. im worried about filing the screw because of support for the trigger guard. should filing the bottom of that be okay to do?

that should be fine to file down a hair to clear the TG screw.

It will give you the clearance to fully pull the trigger.. :killer:

Just fixed it. there's a little notch cut out of the reciever that the AR guard was covering...i had a hunch and just decided to cut the guard away from it....did so and the trigger runs smoothly...not sure what that is used for but it must matter. lol.

got everything on except the stock and buffer tube...which hasnt came in the mail yet. plus i need to file to safety lever when i get back home. might send it to someone to thread the barrel and put on a break...i just dont have the courage to do that. plus i need to find someone to refinish it. the other conversion didnt look too bad finished...but the .308 was a bit tougher and i nicked the paint a bit too much. it needs refinishing and i dont dare try that either. Thanks a lot tho Al. Seriously haha, i could not have done this one without your help!

s2t.. I try..

The 308 welds were a PITA for me as I was expecting a center 'rivet' and not welds.. :cryss:

That set me back like 30 mins..

No kidding. when i figured that out i was pissed. i drilled that thing forever...ended up having to take a hammer drill to it, then a crow bar. The 7.62 just popped off sooner than it even should have according to the video...but the .308...lets just say it compensated for it.

The conversion is done. all thats left is the buffer tube and stock which should come in tomorrow. ill put picks up then!

which stock did you go with??

Did you cut the TANG off (and go PIGNOSE and stock), or go with a CAA or Voltor AK type tube mount???

I cut the tang off, installed an internal receiver, installed a folding stock mechanism which also acts as an adapter for a buffer tube, M16 length A2 buffer tube extension, and the beauty it was all made for: THE Magpul II Precision Rifle Stock 2nd Generation. should get here today. also am in the process of ordering a nice scope and a monopod for the rear.

VERY nice.. :smoke:

which bi-pod is that?? is that the Leapers/UTG or a Harris??

Thanks!

its Harris.

Yeah, i love the look i get from it. first i was going to make a PSL out of it, but then i actually got the inspiration for that stock (and the whole rifle) from the NTW 20. i know it really looks nothing like that beast, but as i said, inspiration. midways through the rifle i started looking at systems like the ACR which made me decide to throw the folding stock in there....then decided if i wanted to get a NON PSL sniper look, i need to make this thing look like an AR is much as possible. couldnt find a good AR style barrel for it, but Greg says they are attempting to make one.

Edited by s2thalayer
  • 7 months later...

Thanks, I ran into the same problem. This is my first saiga and conversion.

No need to save the srping holding the CRAP.. if your using the retainer plate or something else..

Just bend it up near the FCG pin..

Thanks.. I try..