Converted Saiga 20 ejection issues

We have a Saiga 20 ga that we have converted to a side folder in our shop as a rental gun. It has been a popular rental piece but it has been limited to slug and buckshot so far because of relaibility issues, it will not reliably elect the lighter game loads. Gas port settings did not make any difference so, since we shortened the barrel several inches we opened up the gasports from .070 to .086 but this has not solved the issue either (but it did work on the 12 ga). I have seen others mention opening their gas port to over .090 but I am reluctant to do any more without further input.

Any suggestions?

if you use a buffer, take that out before you open it up any more. also, if you added a threaded choke setup, you might get around the whole thing with the target loads by using full chokes for the added backpressure. if you dont want to install winchokes or anything like that i would think you would have to open the port up. if you do open the port up further, you really need to make sure people dont run the max dram and max projectile weight loads on the wrong setting. im going on general knowledge acquired from others here, so maybe one of them can chime in and back this statement up. pretty sure thats what they are going to tell you.

Polish the front face of the hammer and the rear portion of the bolt where it rubs the hammer with a dremmel and polishing wheel/paste. This made my folder run folded where it would only run on the shoulder before...MadDog

When I did my conversion on the 12, I had some feed probs with the light target loads. I had not shortened the barrel.

What I did was re-contoured the hammer face, so the bolt carrier did not reach so much resistance, (be very aware of how much material is being removed, you don't want to weaken the hammer, just smooth the contour)

I also smoothed the bolt carrier surface that rides over the hammer face. Polished both surfaces to a mirror finish, and viola, no more issues.

Hope this helps.

Jeric