What scope to use?

Various 'Vortex Vipers' are on sale at SWFA, check them out.

Vortex offers awesome CS and a transferable Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee.

You can mount on a either on a over the receiver rail such as, DPH Beryl rail or TWS Dog Leg rail, or use a side mount weaver rail.

If you want to see .22 cal (5.45x39) bullet holes @ 400 yds, get a spotting scope. The magnification need to see those holes at that distance (25 or greater power) would make target acquisition nearly impossible from anything other that a bipod. This is all about applied geometry - the greater your magnification, the less movement on your end needed to make a movement at the target. I have read many articles about inexperienced hunters out on expensive guided hunts that missed their trophy shot due to their inability to simply find the target in their scope. I have a friend that has a 12-24x50 30mm scope on his Remington 700 in .308 and he actually uses it as a spotting scope. He has never hunted the rifle and has issues with breathing and heartbeat moving the sights off target! Check what magnification our country's snipers use and go with something similar unless you are doing silhouette shooting. The M24 system used my the US Army uses a 10x42 Leupold Ultra M3A telescope sight (Mil-Dots). So a 3-9x40 or similar (4-12x40) is a good choice for most shooting scenarios.

Hope this helps and doesn't stir up a poop storm...

JG

• Like 1

AX has good advice, you should get a spotting scope and not rely on your rifle optic. You can't get enough magnification out of a rifle optic to compete with even cheap spotting scopes so why bother.

Shoot-N-C targets are great for this situation since they make nice green or orange bullet holes when hit...makes it MUCH easier to see those impacts at long range.

If it were me I'd go with a POSP 4x24 as the rifle optic because they're inexpensive, are military issue in the Russian army, are tough as nails and should last a lifetime.

There are variable power versions but the price goes up pretty quickly due to rarity in the US. Dragunov versions of the scope do exist in 3-9x versions but those are pricey and you might need to change the based mount from the SVD version (clamp on top) to the AK version (clamp on the bottom). But like I said if it were me I'd stay simple and go with the 4x24 fixed magnification. They're hard to beat dollar for dollar.

Z

I would just really like a variable power scope---but I realize now that I do need a spotting scope; I've just been too cheap to get one and thought I could do double duty.

Are either one of these decent options?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-crossfire-3-9x40-riflescope-v-brite-illuminated-reticle

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-crossfire-4-16x50-ao-riflescope-mil-dot-illuminated-reticle

I used Burris Extreme Tactical .75" rings on my 'Vortex Viper 2-7x32', http://swfa.com/Burris-Xtreme-Tactical-1-Rings-P7958.aspx

With a 40mm objective you should be fine. IMO, your really not going to be able to go any lower.

Your gonna love the TWS Dog Leg. :up:

vortex1-1.jpg

Your going to need at least .75" *rings for that 40mm objective bell to clear the RSB.

The TWS dog leg rail, I believe it sits a tad lower than the Molot, and mounted in Burris Xtreme Tactical .75" rings, my Vortex Viper's 32mm objective bell clears the RSB mount by a mere 3/8".

And I'm looking for a cheek piece to raise my cheek weld a inch or so.

* This is measuring ring height from top of rail to bottom of ring's inside.

Some manufacturers measure from top of rail to center line of ring.

Know which measurement is being used.

burris-ringheight.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno

I got the mount/rings/scope combo from classic arms for $65. I shoot nice groups out to 500 yards with it. It may need a few clicks to get re centered after cleaning the gun, but it stays within 10" at 500 yards zeroed. The scope is a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x40. Cheapo, but it works great.

Best photo I have right now.

I have since revamped my cheek position. I ram it on up to the back of the dust cover so my nose goes to the left side of the dust cover and the corner of my mouth is at the dust cover/rear trunnion joint. My head ends up about 2 inches forward compared to this photo. It does work.

CIMG1669.jpg?t=1287543479

Edited by toshbar

Well it was $130, which isn't bad considering it has an unlimited lifetime warranty and I can't find a single negative review on it. Customer service is bar-none if it's a dud too. I have a Vortex SPARC and people said it was a cheap POS compared to an aimpoint. I had an aimpoint T-1 ($600), got the vortex sparc ($200) and have since sold the aimpoint because the sparc has a smaller MOA red dot and from all the torture tests I've seen is just about as tough (I couldn't tell the difference). Works like a charm on my AR57. These may be made in China, but their products are high quality. I'll know for sure when I get the scope; it's worth a shot.