Gas tube cant

Alright, so about a month ago I purchased an S223 at a gunshow for a good price new in box. I didn't inspect it close enough because I was happy that it was the only one there. I had to wait a couple weeks to shoot it since I'm in college. After putting 60 rounds through it the other week, I notice that the gas tube is slightly canted to the left and is rubbing on the right side of the bolt carrier where it meets the piston. It's impossible to see unless you have the piston there to compare. It has no effect on the function of the rifle except the accuracy. It shoots about 1-2" to the right at 50 yards. I didn't get a chance to shoot it at 100 and 200 due to time constraints, but I predict that with the longer distances, it will be off by more. The other only little problem I found was that when chambering the first round from the bolt locked back, the bolt needs more of a "running start" to push the round into the chamber due to the increased resistance from pushing the round and rubbing on the gas tube. Other than the accuracy issue, this is it.

Now, this is my first AK besides my S12 and I really don't know what is a bad amount of cant as opposed to what isn't worth fixing, if you know what I mean. I'd like the sights to be straight since I plan on co-witnessing through a red dot, but it isn't a HUGE factor for me. So now the question is, do I attempt to fix it myself (I'm no gunsmith, but I am a part time welder/fabricator), send it to CGW to be repaired under warranty, or do I just leave it be? Are there any how-tos with pictures on fixing the cant that I can review before I make my decision. I've heard its just a couple pins that need pressed out and straightened, but I don't know which pins are which.

Anyways, here are a couple pictures I snagged.

1017001511.jpg

1017001511a.jpg

1017001512b.jpg

1017001512a.jpg

Thanks for the help!

The other only little problem I found was that when chambering the first round from the bolt locked back, the bolt needs more of a "running start" to push the round into the chamber due to the increased resistance from pushing the round and rubbing on the gas tube. Other than the accuracy issue, this is it.

Your accuracy issues lie in the absence of a sight tool to adjust your sights.

Your "increased resistance" issues are probably caused by not pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear and letting it fly (this "issue" is pretty commonly reported and evolves from folks not running their guns in a manly manner).

• Like 1

The other only little problem I found was that when chambering the first round from the bolt locked back, the bolt needs more of a "running start" to push the round into the chamber due to the increased resistance from pushing the round and rubbing on the gas tube. Other than the accuracy issue, this is it.

Your accuracy issues lie in the absence of a sight tool to adjust your sights.

Your "increased resistance" issues are probably caused by not pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear and letting it fly (this "issue" is pretty commonly reported and evolves from folks not running their guns in a manly manner).

I may be blind but, the rear sights are non-adjustable right? Are there adjustable rear sights I can slap on here that will work with an ultimak rail?

And yes, I was definitely babying my gun when it was catching. It only caught when I was "examining" it. However I know for sure that it would not have the same resistance if the piston was not rubbing on the gas tube. It feeds without a hiccup if I pull it back farther, like I usually do. I just that with my S12 I just have to tap the handle and it slams home. However that could be because the S12 locks back further back than the S223, therefore giving it more pressure from the spring. The resistance thing is a non-issue since the only time I lock the bolt back is to show clear at the range.

I may be blind but, the rear sights are non-adjustable right? Are there adjustable rear sights I can slap on here that will work with an ultimak rail?

You are correct. The rear sites are not adjustable.

The front sight, OTOH, is adjustable for both windage and elevation.

When using the charging handle it will have a bais to the right, mine does the same thing. Let that bolt slam, its suppose to do that. Are you sure the gas tube is canted? Or that wierd saiga only sheet metal cover to the gas tube welded on a bit off? From the photos everything looks ok. You shot it, it didnt blow up or have the piston bind up on anything did it? I dont mean to sound like a turd but you maybe babing your baby to much. If its really bugging you try another gas tube, see if thats it. It really cant be the reciever or the gas block off as if the block is off its going to have issues cycling when fired. But it has you worried enough to put a post up about it, so just shoot it and look for excessive wear marks on the working parts.

When using the charging handle it will have a bais to the right, mine does the same thing. Let that bolt slam, its suppose to do that. Are you sure the gas tube is canted? Or that wierd saiga only sheet metal cover to the gas tube welded on a bit off? From the photos everything looks ok. You shot it, it didnt blow up or have the piston bind up on anything did it? I dont mean to sound like a turd but you maybe babing your baby to much. If its really bugging you try another gas tube, see if thats it. It really cant be the reciever or the gas block off as if the block is off its going to have issues cycling when fired. But it has you worried enough to put a post up about it, so just shoot it and look for excessive wear marks on the working parts.

Oh yea, no worries about me babying it. I always just slam it in. The resistance of the bolt isn't an issue, just an observation. The first thing that came to my mind was that the charging handle would pull the bolt to the right a bit. However I made sure to pull it back evenly across the rails so it wouldn't tilt at all for the pictures. If you look at the last picture I posted, there clearly is an alignment problem of some sort. It isn't I'm worked up about it. This is just my first AK with alignment problems so I was checking to see if this is extreme or not. If you look in the pictures you can see that it is definitely rubbing on the right side of the bolt carrier. I guess my only worries are premature wear on the side of the gas tube or on the carrier. I don't think it will lead to any problems, but that is why I'm asking you guys since most of you know more about the subject than I do.

Sputnik 360, if your rifle is shooting to the right, you need to drift the front sight post to the right with a front sight tool. They are like $6-10 at pretty much any gun website. Except for K-Var's super duper sight tool which is $30 for some unknown reason and still incapable of windage adjustment.

I had similar concerns regarding my S223 a few months back. Personally I believe my rifle groups slightly to the right because the factory trigger. But I'll tell ya, I disagree with some of the other opinions in this case. If the rifle in the pictures was mine, it would be on it's was back to RAAC. They have a good reputation regarding their warranty and my guess is they would take one look at that and send you a new rifle.

Maybe its just me, but when I spend my hard earned money, I want what I paid for.

Thunder