WHY a bullet guide?

I just purchased my second Saiga, this one in 7.62x39. I was doing a rundown of conversion parts i was going to need, when i got to thinking. Why does a firearm made in the factory that the AK-47 was created using a magazines design that has been used for the last 60+ years in a chambering of the cartridge it was originally designed for... need a bullet guide? Ive tried doing some research, but everything i find just says that you need one to accept high capacity magazines.

Thank you

Edit: wow, i just found it.. now i gotta figure out how to delete this post so i dont look like an asshole lol

Edited by Madcow82
  • Like 1

The Saiga mags are not your typical AK mags. They have a higher front lip which acts as the bullet guide. This was done so that the Saiga could be imported into the USA. Its an easy and cheap process to add a bullet guide so its really no big deal for most people.

EDIT: Geez what an asshole ;)

Edited by Bug Splat
  • Like 2

Edit: wow, i just found it.. now i gotta figure out how to delete this post so i dont look like an asshole lol

Too late. :D

In case you haven't yet learned this in your research: Saiga rifles use AK-100 series parts, rather than AKM parts. In the AKM, the bullet guide was part of the front trunnion, so any semi-auto AKM-type rifle will accept hi-cap standard capacity mil-spec magazines without alteration, (unless it's to widen the magwell for certain models, e.g. WASR).

In AK-100 series rifles, the trunnion is different, and the bullet guide is a seperate piece of steel rivetted in place, like this:

sgltrunnion3.jpg

Most Saiga rifles are imported as "sporters", so the bullet guide is left out, to restrict what magazines the rifles can use. So, most Saiga rifle owners choose to install an aftermarket bullet guide themselves, (usually drill, tap, and secure with a screw), as part of the conversion restoration process.

• Like 4