Would You Like A Midwest Industries Rail For Your Saiga .308?

I wrote Troy at Midwest Industries about maybe making a rail for the .308 Saiga. It would require a new mounting block for the thicker barrel of the .308. This is not as expensive as redesigning the entire rail, but is still an expensive thing for MI to do unless they can sell enough rails. I told Troy that I would post his email address on a few boards that I read and let you guys tell him if this is something you would like to see or not. If you are interested in this email him at troy@midwestindustriesinc.com and let him know. It would be nice to have this as an option for the .308 Saiga. Here are some pictures of the MI rail with the new US Palm upper on one of my AK 74s to inspire you to write. [:)]

post-3360-019445000 1287857371_thumb.jpg

post-3360-011271300 1287857354_thumb.jpg

MI & US Palm just came out with a low profile top rail for use with the Aimpoint T1/H1 sight. Which is compatible with the Primary Arms, Sig and Vortex micro dots. So it offers similar performance as the Ultimak along with a rail for not much more than just the Ultimak upper mount alone. Hopefully it runs a tad cooler and doesn't brand you like the Ultimak.

Edited by yellowcarbon

That is what is on my rifle in the picture, the US Palm upper and a PA micro. It is cooler than an Ultimak and you are correct, for just a little more you get a quad rail and an optic mount. You also can remove the upper rail by taking out 4 screws and mine has returned to zero after taking the upper rail off.

I saw that your picture had the new top section on it, but I thought I would mention it as it is very new to the market. Many don't even know that is it out there yet and are only familiar with the older style rail.

Unfortunely for me, I just bought 2 MI rails before I saw the new top section. Fortunely, I got them used at a discount, so I am not out much even if I get the new top section. I put one my a Maddi and the other I need to modify to fit my S-308. It looks simple enough to do, although it will be time consuming.

As a side not, I originally bought a Samson K-rail because Samson Ind said they would make me a custom barrel clamp to fit my S308. They then stopped returning my emails and haven't made it for me. After 9 months of waiting, I gave up and sold it off. I also haven't bought another Samson product as I feel they don't back up their word. I don't mind that they didn't want to make it, but not doing so after saying you would is another thing all together. Had they just told me that they don't service the S-308, all would be well. So I don't spend any of my money on any Samson products. I will gladly spend it with Troy, Larue, MI, Surefire, etc. All of whom back their words and product up with action in my exprience. Hell, Laure replace one of my defective ARMS product with one of their products (LT150 Aimpoint mount).

Not for me. I prefer the low profile red dot with the ultimak for cowitness.

What ultimak are you running on the 308? Unless I have missed a big announcement they isn't one for the 308. Thus a MI rail would be better than a non existent ultimak. Also the MI with the new top may prove to be a good option. In my experience Palm does not make crap.

I will admit that I would be interested in the MI rail but a little less so for my 308 than I am for some of my others simply because I use it differently. I am interested in the new top but I need to see more reports on them before I'd buy.

Edited by Zambidis

I haven't run an ultimak on a 308, but it's all a matter of grinding out a bit of the meat on the clamping ring. I could care less about the side rails and I could affix a small rail on the bottom of the lower handguard if necessary. For my 5.45, I have a POSP scope and Bushnell low profile red dot simultaneously. No real obstruction of sight picture.

I could care less about the side rails and I could affix a small rail on the bottom of the lower hand guard if necessary.

Those actually will go on a 308 with basically no problem. You simply need longer screws. I've never seen anyone put an ultimak gas tube on a 308. If someone has or does I'd be interested to see exactly what they do to get it on and how well it works.

Gabe Suarez's 308 with Ultimak handguard.

post-10805-0-27268800-1288464559_thumb.jpg