There are several variants out there on the market as far as stocks, receivers, and nation of origin.

1.) Why is the laminated stock more $? This is the opposite situation of 98k's.

2.) Why choose a hex over a round receiver other than age or collectability?

3.) Nation of origin. Are the Ukrainian ones out there correct? Or are they "simulated" by bending the bolt handles down and use new but authentic optics like the Russian ones?

Any input is welcome and appreciated.

I don't have a lot of experience but I will tell you what I have experienced.

A friend of mine recently bought two Soviet Mosins. One was a 1926 Hex receiver with a straight bolt. The second was a 1942 (or 46 I can't remember but it was in the 40's) round receiver ex-sniper (turned down bolt).

He seems to have pretty decent success with the hex receiver version but I can't figure it out at all.

However, I can rock with the turned down bolt.

As an example, here is a target I shot at 100 yards with a rest with late 70's surplus Soviet ammo.

post-25923-080665300 1287945486_thumb.jpg

If you want a good source or two for them, please feel free to PM me.

Edited by physicsnerd

I think the only difference is that most of the hex receiver guns were made before the war started, so the quality control was much better. Once they started going full swing production for the war, they were just churning out sticks that could go 'bang' as fast as possible. There's no reason you can't get a round receiver gun that is just as good as a hex but on average you're more likely to get a quality hex receiver gun just based on the dates of manufacture. I have a round receiver gun that was made post-war so it is well put together and shoots really nicely.

Go here for an explanation of the laminate vs wood stocks etc:

http://7.62x54r.net/

There's more than you could ever possibly want to know about Mosins on that site...

You can spend the extra 20 bucks and purchase the hand picked mosin i have two of them and both are amazing i can post pics if you want has for the hex or round the hex does nothing for the gun it as nsdhanoa said they were made mostly pre war so they can look a little nicer however if you can get a round one with a good crown it will shoot the same as a hex so spend the extra 20 bucks.

The only 2 things I looked for in a Nagant when I got mine was that it did not have the counter bore which meant to me that the lands where still in good shape and all matching #'s, I got lucky with mine, she is a shooter.... I do not buy guns to collect, I buy them to shoot, I like the Russian rifles myself although I have never shot any other country of origin...

As far as laminated goes it is a nicer & harder wood then your normal Nagant stocks... I have heard that the hexa receivers are more collectible then the round, hexas are normally made in the 1920's and 30's, the round came out in the 40's and 50's and used during WW2.

There are all kinds of variants, including the sniper version which includes the bent bolt and PU scope & mount... $400-$500 for these....

When you decide go to http://www.classicarms.us/ they have a large selection of the Nagant's

If you're looking into the sniper the "repos" on the market shoot quite well. My friend picked one up and he was doing much better with it at the range at 300-500 yds than I was with my 30-06. (We told him he was walking home and his groups had some fliers in it after that ;) )