Going to Convert My First S12!

Hey guys I am looking to convert my Saiga-12, after I have Cadiz fiix my underegassed problem of course. I want to have the highest quality interior parts. I also am thinking of sawing off the tang (please advise me on wheather this is good/bad) and installing the adaptor. I also am looking to save money if I can reuse some factory internals.

Here is a list of the current parts I am thinking of using:

Tromix G2 trigger group.

(No Pistol Grip selected)

(No Stock BRAND yet - Will be skeleton possibly folder)

(No Forend Selected yet)

Chaos Wave Muzzle Break

Saiga Stock Adaptor

AGAIN Please Give me suggestions (I do not want to use a F---i-- Stupid "SAW" grip (So fat and just yuck...) I also want to avoid Tapco if at all possible))

MD Arms Molot grip is great. I use it on my S12 and I'm going to add it to the 7.62x39 soon.

MississippiAutoArms makes an aluminum skeleton stock for $59.00. I currently have the MAA skeleton stock with an ACE internal block and folding mechanism on my S12. The MAA stock also uses AR15 recoil pads.

Just browse the forum and take a look at some pictures and reviews. You can get a pretty good idea of how everything you're thinking of buying will look and perform on an actual Saiga 12.

My next purchase for the S12 is going to be a breacher poly choke. :super:

• Like 1

Hey guys I am looking to convert my Saiga-12........

..............Please Give me suggestions

I have a suggestion...

If it looks like it belongs on an AR, keep it the fuck off your AK. ;)

keepthatcrapoff.jpg

That being said, Although classic wood is the way to go, in my book, my second choice would incorporate the Ace skeleton; aceskeleton.JPG

And the MD Motlot; mdgrip.jpg

Then possibly the Kvar forend; SG-022_003web.jpg

Click on pics for vendors, they're hot-links.

This is a sweet & simple build & it retains the AK look, but also pleases the black gun lovers, without being some gay mall ninja's 20 pound boat anchor.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 2

Do what you will, but an S-12 doesn't really need optics.

First, you need a damn good optic to stand up to 12 gauge recoil, then you need batterys for most of them, then you need a way to mount it.

I can get decent groups at 50-75 yards with iron sghts & I never have to worry about optics issues, but I only keep 1 slug in the gun anyhow, & that's just the one that presses against the bolt, so it doesn't deform. The rest is 15 pellet .00 buck.

Shit, while you're at it, get a bi-pod & a POSP. :huh:

I'm a firm believer in iron sight marksmanship. If it's not going out over 100 yards at night, iron sights are far more dependable.

As for the weight of the wood, Russian takeoff stocks like mine are quite light, but durable as all hell.

I really hope I don't reach a point in life where I need to fold a stock & try to conceal my S-12. That's what I carry my G-17 with HydroShock hollow points for.

It's a different story if it's a SBS.

Busting out a Tromix 8" from under a 3/4 length leather jacket would be cool. :ph34r:

But the beauty of this platform, is it'a a work of art to each owner.

Don't build it how I would or how anyone else would... Look at the S-12 picture thread here & decide what YOUR dream S-12 will look like.

BTW, I like your sig-line. :up:

Um... What the hell is a POSP???

Is the Bi-Pod thing a joke?!?!? (You have to make sarcasm blue...) (Was thinking of MAYBE gettining one for use with drum but decided pistol grip instead... I don't wanna be one of those guys who can open three different types of cans with his forearm (MallNinja you guys call them?). But I do want the S12 to be my go to home defense weapon... (Im thinking no flashlight... there dumb on guns)

+1 for Paulyski. I had an AR, mainly for familiarization for whenever the Army says to go qualify, but since I prefer Russian weapons, I gave it to my father.

Also, nice thread. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with my Saiga 20 when I pick it up on leave. I would try to look at the picture thread, however, while at work, I can't load or see any pictures posted througha 'media sharing site' such as photobucket.

Um... What the hell is a POSP???

ak478_2.jpg

Is the Bi-Pod thing a joke?!?!?

Yes. :)

Personally the only rail I'd put on an AK based weapon, especially a 19" shotgun, would be a 2" rail for a green laser laser under the gas block. That K-Var handguard retainer adds a screw hole & provides a flat base to mount a rail about 2" long.

SG-022_003web.jpg

To mount the laser's switch to my AK forearm, I'd rough up a short section of fat, downhill Mt. bike inner-tube & slide it on the forearm to hold & protect the switch, then install the forearm back on.

I've dumped close to 100 rounds from my S-12, & the barrel got hot, but I doubt hot enough to melt the inner-tube. if so, a tiny strip of fiberglass insulation at the bottom of the barrel should fix that.

At least not in a realistic situation where you likely won't have to dump a hundred rounds.

I personally wouldn't consider any rails that interfered with my iron sights.

If the SHTF, I may not have access to batteries. or parts to fix optics, but iron sights would endure.

But that's just me.

Edited by Paulyski

Do you use factory irons?

Been thinking of a raised front sight from Dinzag,

fsbs12ts_1.jpg

& possibly shortening the barrel & permanently attaching a break to make up 18" to get a quicker spread from my .00 buck, or flash hider for aesthetic & flash hiding purposes. However, if using a flash hider permanently attached, make sure your state allows them, or you're asking for trouble.

s12_brake_74.jpg 74fh2275-1.jpg slh2275.jpg

But for now I sit like this & likely won't go any farther...

Never know... I may need to get some game with it some day.

In that case longer is better.

Done1-1.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but an AK is a beautiful sexy, albeit deadly lady, with great curves, lines & a classic, immediately recognizable profile that strikes a certain fear in the hearts of all on the business end of it.

Why not capitalize on the "scary evil massacre rifle" reputation?

Optics belong on other members of the family...

(These are PSLs with Rhineland Arms furniture.)

svdkit1.jpg

psltiger1.jpg

Or sporterized Mosin Nagants.

finished-1-1-1-1.jpg

DSC00233-1-1-1.jpg

On the other hand, if you had a quick release rail like this one, you could mount combat optics on it & take it off real quick for use in reality, or have a touch of magnification for slugs, then still use the irons for regular buck... But most important, it's removable & doesn't render the irons ineffective like the permanently mounted rails do, plus, you can grab your forearm without it being prickly aluminium, or needing 20 rubber inserts all around the gun to avoid that...

bp02rw-1-600.jpg

But still, there's something to be said for a light, maneuverable, acumbersome close combat shotty. The semi-auto combat shotgun, dubbed the street-sweeper was made to fend off mobs at not too distant ranges. The strategy is to fire steel shot at the street so it spreads, knocking out many targets at once. If one needs optics, they may as well have a 7.62x39 AK IMHO.

Whatever you decide, I'd build cheap at first & spend some cash on ammo to train how to handle the platform effectively if you haven't already.

Otherwise, you're like the guy who comes to the pool table with a $500.00 Helmstetter, but can't manage to sink a ball.

Ivan.png

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Edited by Paulyski

Personally the only rail I'd put on an AK based weapon, especially a 19" shotgun, would be a 2" rail for a green laser laser under the gas block. That K-Var handguard retainer adds a screw hole & provides a flat base to mount a rail about 2" long.

SG-022_003web.jpg

I've always liked the look of the kvar forend. instead of a laser I'd want to mount a light and looking at those picts it isn't really clear how a small rail can attach. I see the sling loop location and the screw directly behind that that holds the bracket in place. So where is the provision for rail screws? I'm assuming that side mounting a small rail isn't really feasible eh?

I've always liked the look of the kvar forend. instead of a laser I'd want to mount a light and looking at those picts it isn't really clear how a small rail can attach. I see the sling loop location and the screw directly behind that that holds the bracket in place. So where is the provision for rail screws? I'm assuming that side mounting a small rail isn't really feasible eh?

There's a sling loop integrated to the side of the mount if you look closely. SG-338i.png

The sling loop that you see at the bottom of the gas block is the factory sling loop installed in that pic just for the hell of it.

It isn't necessary to have it installed, so if removed, there'd be your second hole.

But i'd say braze the rail onto the bottom of that retainer to increase overall rigidity, then drill the screw holes through the rail to mount it & reinforce the front.

ETA;

If you just HAD to have a light, I'd recommend the LED Lenser...

On a little rail like that, you'd be able to hit a push button from the back with your hand on the forend without needing the added expense of a remote switch.

It's a Laser, so it's a weapon in it's self & a gun light can pack 200 lumen of phisycally painful, blinding laser light, shoot the light farther than any other small light & have a battery life of 100 hours. :eek:

But you have to be careful with these things.

They're banned on the highway in Germany because it really is a big laser going through a magnifying lens & they instantly momentarily blind people if shined in their eyes... And you wouldn't want that... now would you. ;)

It takes a few minuets to reorient & have your sight back fully after being hit by them & they CAN damage your eyes if you look at them very long... But it physically hurts to look into their beam, so a person can't look. They instantly look away out of pain. Which I guess is a good thing for safety.

There're warning labels on the lights & warnings all over the instruction books to this effect.

post-19652-020135500%201282740683_thumb.jpg

post-19652-024689800%201282740720_thumb.jpg

The 100 hour battery life :up: is what REALLY does it for me. :D

I posted the site I did up there, because they don't sell anything.

I wouldn't want to post active links to vendors because it's against the forum rules.:angel:

If you pay attention to the lower video, you will see a distributor.

Here's some demonstrations.

Edited by Paulyski

What we (I) Have so far!!!

Pisotl grip: Hogue Mono (Black) $23.95

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/images/hogueAK.jpg

Stock: ACE 7.5" Skele - (Pic already in this thread) - $65.00

Saiga Stock Adaptor (No brand selceted) - $45.00

Tromix S12 DIY trigger guard. - $45.00

Tromix FCG (Thinking of adding a Ret Plate) - $45.00 (+&12.00)

NO FOREARM SELECTED ATM!!!

Totla cost of my conversion less forearm & Shipping = $235.95

Hmmm... That is without a quick release AK mount or any "Accessories".