Hello all, I am new to the forum and to Saiga's. I was brought here because I was looking for a new 12ga for home defense and began searching for reasonably priced pump guns. I began looking at tactical versions of Mossberg's, Remingtons, Savage... ETC. and came across a Saiga for sale on Gunbroker. intrigued by the name and description I assumed the price would be outrageous, however, I was suprised when i began to find them in the sub $500 range and highly customizable for cheap.

So as I began to do more searching I instantly became obsessed with tracking one down for myself. My question to you is where would you guys suggest I begin looking for quality new or used items and what should I be aware of when buying? After I purchase one I plan to change the factory stock, forend and add a pistol grip and flash suppressor.

I feel that with all the configurations available that this would make the perfect home defense weapon. I have a local FFL at my disposal so transfers shouldn't be costly or inconvenient.

Other thoughts, I have read many members talking about tax stamps for modifying their shotguns... What do I need to know to avoid these restrictions?

Thanks in advance for your insight and help,

-Chris-

Other thoughts, I have read many members talking about tax stamps for modifying their shotguns... What do I need to know to avoid these restrictions?-Chris-

A tax stamp is required if you plan to shorten your barrel to less than 18", which is called an SBS (short-barreled shotgun).

If your barrel is 18" or longer, there's no need for a tax stamp..............

post-3950-009657100 1288037866_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeaux E
  • Like 1

Converting a Saiga is referring to moving the trigger group forward where it is supposed to be on a normal AK. The process takes a little bit of time but is not difficult at all. The guns (at least the rifles are, someone correct me if I'm wrong about the shotguns) are imported in a sporter configuration meaning the trigger group is moved back and they won't take higher cap magazines. A little work will overcome both of these. This forum is full of info and instructions on how to do the conversion and lots of good folks who know what they are talking about. Good luck

• Like 1

Congrats on considering a new S-12...this site is so full of great answers, just use the search function or start browsing...the guru's here are crazy awesome so ask anything you need to know. The conversion is as described moving the fire control group (fcg) forward and adding a pistol grip and all the goodies you want to mall ninja your shotgun for home defense (hd).

yes the conversion is moving the fire control group forward but the gun will still accept high cap. mags in the original configuration. the thing about that is if you try to use a high cap mag you need to be 922r complaint. im not gonna go into it all but you need to make sure you are on the right side of the law where 992r is concerned. its no big deal though, if the parts you mentioned replacing are all made in USA you will be good to go.

as far as a place to buy parts, im surpised it hasnt been mentioned yet but i strongly suggest you check out Carolina Shooters Supply. they are a forum sponsor here and Greg is a great guy with good prices and super fast shipping! you cant go wrong with them. other than that i dont know b/c ive bought everything for my S-12 from CSS.

Thanks guys for all the useful info. Just so i'm straight on this 922r... If I use russian made parts I need a 922r tax stamp and if I make the same mods with American made parts I need not worry about the 922r compliance as long as the barrel isn't shorter than 18 inches? Does this also include 10 round American made mags?

Definitely going to give CSS a call in the near future. Thanks again guys!

No stamps for 922r, just compliance.

Stamps are for things like grenades, short barreled shotguns, machine guns, etc.

922r is simply a parts count. If you remove your S12 from "sporting configuration" (yes, it is bogus) like adding a magazine over 5 rounds or a pistol grip you can have no more than 10 foreign made parts. There is a sticky in the Saiga 12 section to give you more details. But there is no stamp or tax. It is DIY.

Sweet, so as long as I purchase products from places like CSS I will have no issue?

If you mean "no issue" as in the parts you order will arrive the day before you ordered em, then yeah, no issues whatsoever with purchasing from CSS.

If you mean "no issue" as in 922r compliance.. that's not guaranteed, by anyone. That's entirely up to you and what parts you decide to use on your shotgun. That said, it is not at all difficult to remain 922r compliant with a Saiga-12, since there are so many US-made parts available for em.

If you want to convert restore your S-12 and you're not sure of exactly all the parts you'll need for this, it'd be hard to go wrong with one of the "conversion kits" that CSS offers. They're packed with US-made parts and have everything you need.

• Like 1

I wasn't looking to do anything too crazy. Just a conversion kit, a muzzle break/breach, a couple 8 or 10 rd mags and a tac light or reticle. I'm wicked pumped! I'm in the process of talking to my FFL to get everything squared away. Probably ordering in a week or so.

"I wasn't looking to do anything too crazy".. yeah that's what I thought about mine a year and a half ago. ~$1500 later.. and she's still not completely "done", (I'm in the process of getting HK sights, some barrel work done, etc).

Prepare to spend more money on your Saiga-12 than you ever "intended" to, (she'll likely become your favorite range weapon, bar none). No worries, though.. you'll love every minute of it!

Welcome to the addiction! :D

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1