New 'round here

Well, this is my first post here on s12.com and I've jumped in with both feet. After lurking here for a couple of weeks, I decided to start my search. I already have a Bulgarian ak in 7.62x39 so I could go up or down in power. Since I'm your typical guy, I went for more power.

I found a NIB saiga .308 with 3mags, box and papers for $300 OTD. Nice looker, awesome shooter but that stock and trigger pull had to go. After a thorough range test to check for bugs or gremlins I was ready. BTW, during that range test, nothing was safe at the 100yd line. I had the milk jugs dancing for what seemed like hours.

Now it's time, major surgery on a new pristine firearm. Well not as major as I had anticipated, it really wasn't that bad. Damn spot welds had me cursing in seven languages, but they all fell to the mighty Dremmel.

I already had all the parts I needed in my ak parts bin, so this was a cheap one. I used the k-var marked FCG that had been removed from the bulgy. It was nice because the hammer didn't require clearance for the center support, it was perfect. I just had to open up the pocket on the trigger for the disconnector spring and shorten the sleeve that held the trigger and dis. together. The furniture is standard k-var stock and SAW grip and I kept the HG. I'd post pics but it's identical to all the rest.

Sorry to get long winded, but I get that way.

Oh yea, I have a simmons 3-9x40 and some low weaver rings. What is the ideal scope mount that both sits as low as possible and is centered over the bore? I could go with some higher rings to make a low profile mount work. I have a Kobra for fun, but I wanted a scope to explore the accuracy potential.

Edited by pmbiker

I see your mount secures using several screws. My kobra and others I've seen use a thumb lever. Is one more secure/stable than the other?

I went to clearview and saw your mount. A little further down they had one from russia marked belarus. Are these any good and are they centered or offset left?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to buy the best mount and not have to wade through the crap first.

Thanks

Both of the 'Made in Belarus' mounts will offset to the left a bit. We Americans make a big issue of having our optics centered over the bore. Is there really an accuracy advantage? Maybe a bit. Remember that our sniper rifles in WWII mostly had offset scopes and somehow those seemed to work out alright. Most of us learn to shoot by mashing our head down hard against the stock for a good cheek weld. That is what we are used to. In the ComBloc they were trained to use a more heads up/erect posture with a chin weld. That is why their optics and dot sights set off to the left. They both work.

In addition to a scope for your .308, you might also consider a PK-AS red dot/black dot. When the power is off, you still have a black dot. They are a lot of fun for plinking and such.

I have a Kobra already. I can appreciate the black/red dot advantage, but I'll not replace it.

I'm sure I could adapt to the offset mount, but if I have a choice I'd rather adapt the rifle to me. My kobra is centered, my bolt gun is centered. Might as well go with that.

I'm gonna try the mount offered by east wave from russia. I've read that theirs is centered over the bore and they have a high and low available. I think I'd benefit by using a high mount and low rings to keep it kinda low and still having my irons. My scope has a 40mm objective so there's the clearance issue too.

Depending on WHICH mount from Eastwave you are checking out... it will *NOT* be centered over the bore.

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/mountsksak.html

If those are the ones you are looking at... they are offset to the left, as most mounts are.

These ARE very good quality mounts, however, as I have 4 of them.

Please check out my post in the .410 section...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=5953

As this will show you how it sits in relation to the receiver. *NOTE* however, that I am using OFFSET RINGS on that particular mount, and it sets that particular optic much further offset to the left of the receiver than it would with standard weaver style rings. BUT... you can still see where the weaver base is in relation to the receiver.

I cant make it any clearer than that for anyone... :)

:smoke: