Looking for any and all AK100 folder installation info.

Hi guys,

I have recently received an AK100 side folding stock (with mounting hardware) from K-Var and would like to have it installed on my very nice SGL21. I definitely don't have the skills to do it myself, but trust the abilities of my local gunsmith. He has never done this particular job before, but claims that he is able to. He has done some pretty impressive "black rifle" builds in the past. Still, I would like to gather as much information on this topic as I can, in order to provide him with guidance and make sure that he does everything right.

I am interested in step by step directions, schematics, diagrams, observations, etc.

One particular questions I have is: does the whole receiver need to be re-parked and re-finished lately? What's the best way to strip the old finish or what's best to use for re-finishing? Thanks.

• Like 1

Ask forum member bigsal. He directed me to some great diagrams and links. He hangs out in chat a lot. Here is something that might be helpful also.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4575

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1184/trunnionassemblyrd3.jpg

• Like 1

OK, so I just tried to register at AK Forum in order to view those posts and it says "The e-mail address you entered is not allowed to be used." WTF?!? Arghhh!

EDIT: Used a different e-mail and it worked, but now I have to wait for my account to be "activated". Weird..

Edited by SpetsnazGRU
  • Like 1

OK, so I just tried to register at AK Forum in order to view those posts and it says "The e-mail address you entered is not allowed to be used." WTF?!? Arghhh!

EDIT: Used a different e-mail and it worked, but now I have to wait for my account to be "activated". Weird..

Patience my friend! It will be worth it. There is great knowledge to be had from that site, as well as this one.

• Like 1

Patience my friend! It will be worth it. There is great knowledge to be had from that site, as well as this one.

^Agreed, while the people on the ak forum are largely gun snobs, sycophants and other undesirables, it has members who know their shit. I am continually impressed with the knowledge that some of those guys have. Really bright membership and fantastic technical threads. Great for-sale and vendor sections over there as well.... its really 2nd to none on the internet.

My advice, dont bother with akfiles or warriortalk or ar15.com. This forum and theakforum are really where most of the knowledge base is located.

Edited by Makc
  • Like 3

^Agreed, while the people on the ak forum are largely gun snobs, sycophants and other undesirables, it has members who know their shit. I am continually impressed with the knowledge that some of those guys have. Really bright membership and fantastic technical threads. Great for-sale and vendor sections over there as well.... its really 2nd to none on the internet.

My advice, dont bother with akfiles or warriortalk or ar15.com. This forum and theakforum are really where most of the knowledge base is located.

BigSal, you have an AK100 folder build... What did your gunsmith do as far as refinishing? I think I got enough technical info as far as the installation now, so the refinish is my primary concern now. The factory finish on my SGL21 is rather excellent and I want the new finish to look at least as good.

• Like 1

I would be a little leery of handing my gun over to a gunsmith that had never done an AK100 folder install as it seems quite technical. It would probably be ok but I don't want my gun to be the guinea pig. Again BigSal recommended a place to me, which is lost in my bookmarks at the moment, hopefully he will chime in here with that recommendation.:angel:

• Like 1

I would be a little leery of handing my gun over to a gunsmith that had never done an AK100 folder install as it seems quite technical. It would probably be ok but I don't want my gun to be the guinea pig. Again BigSal recommended a place to me, which is lost in my bookmarks at the moment, hopefully he will chime in here with that recommendation.:angel:

The guy has many, many years of experience and is very skilled. He's designed and built rifles, etc. His pricing is very reasonable too. I just had him cut the barrel on my S308, reinstall the FSB, turn down the barrel, thread for 5/8x24 and re-crown for $140. He did a very good job. He has never done this type of work on an S308 before either. After I present him with all the data and he doesn't feel completely comfortable doing this, I am sure that he will tell me. Thanks.

• Like 1

The guy has many, many years of experience and is very skilled. He's designed and built rifles, etc. His pricing is very reasonable too. I just had him cut the barrel on my S308, reinstall the FSB, turn down the barrel, thread for 5/8x24 and re-crown for $140. He did a very good job. He has never done this type of work on an S308 before either. After I present him with all the data and he doesn't feel completely comfortable doing this, I am sure that he will tell me. Thanks.

Troy at InRange C2 did my poly sidefolder. http://www.inrangec2.com/ Let him know BigSal recommended him. the whole process included re-parkerizing and re-painting for just north of $200.

Edited by bigsal

Troy at InRange C2 did my poly sidefolder. http://www.inrangec2.com/ Let him know BigSal recommended him. the whole process included re-parkerizing and re-painting for just north of $200.

So, they stripped the paint off the entire receiver and re-parked/re-finished it. Which finish did they use? CeraKote?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...