Bi-pod bump fire?

Just got back from the range with my converted Saiga .223. Ever since doing the conversion I have experienced

the occasional double with this rifle. None of my other conversions had this issue and everything in the .223 was

the same as the others, Tapco G2 single hook, etc. The only difference was on the .223 I had a CAA bipod mounted

on a Surefire tri-rail forearm. I decided to remove the forearm and bipod and re-install the factory forearm for this outing and low and behold not a single

double in close to 100 rounds. I was shooting Wolf, Remington and PMC with no issues.

I am guessing the bipod was restricting the natural recoil enough to give me the occasional double in much the same way a bumpfire stance does.

Does this make sense?

I am glad I seem to have solved this issue as it was bothering me quite a bit. I am thinking about a K-Var forearm and upper hand guard on this rifle

and bagging the bipod now.

I think it has to do with the Tapco trigger being easy to bump-fire. A lot of us have seen this. A slow squeeze just past the break point - not following all the way through - is liable to produce a bumpfire in certain cases. It seems to me that every time it has happened to me, I was either prone shooting, or shooting from a bench, in both cases using a hasty sling. I've never gotten it while standing or sitting on the ground.

In any event, +1 to discarding the bipod. In my view they are heavy, bulky, and impractical for most purposes. But I'm not sure that by doing so that you've permanently solved the bumpfire problem.

Jim

I may be wrong, but I would think anything that restricted the recoil wouldn't help bumpfiring. Don't you WANT the rifle to kick back enough to reset the trigger? Perhaps when using the bipod, you didn't hold the HG tight (or at all) and that allowed the Saiga to kick back more?

For the record, I suck at bumpfiring. I usually cause the thing to jam up. If I wanna turn money into noise, I just hit the trigger fast with the side of my opposite index finger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERIwFjmfgE

Dante

Don't you WANT the rifle to kick back enough to reset the trigger?

That's my point. I think the Bi-pod was gripping the shooting table so much that it

was preventing the rifle from kicking back enough to reset the trigger.

I do not want it to double and I am trying to prevent it. It frankly has me a bit confused.

I am considering a Texas AK double hook trigger for this rifle as a possible solution.