Draco SBR; Want to do but have folding stock questions

This guy.. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=58773 ..says he's more than confident in his drilling/tapping directly into the rear trunnion to mount the folding mechanism.

No, there's no plate or anything you take off. Draco's come with an underfolder rear trunnion that hasn't had the holes put in for the underfolding parts. It's a smooth-backed trunnion that people prefer to just drill/tap directly into. Some put nuts on the back side of the screws of the folding mechanism, inside the receiver, for more security.

You can just drill and tap the trunnion and put on an ACE stock (or ACE-style, with or without folding mechanism). The back is more than 3x as thick as the sides are (that you can see inside the receiver). Mine measures about 9.5mm at the back. The sides that you can see insire the receiver are about 3mm thick. It is also hardened and you'll need a good sharp bit and tap and lots of cutting oil. Also - take extra effort to mark your holes before you drill them. I drilled and tapped mine and added screws long enough to protrude through the inside the receiver about 3/16" and added star washers and nut and blue locktite. I think this was probably more than necessary and I am satisfied that the weak point is the mounting screws and ACE aluminum folding mechanism.

That trunnion is a strout piece of steel. I am still debating on adding a cross rivet and bushing to strengthen the forward portion of the trunnion in the receiver. I'm not certian it needs it and I hate extra holes (or rivets) in my rifles...

Macbeau sends...

You can just drill and tap the trunnion and put on an ACE stock (or ACE-style, with or without folding mechanism). The back is more than 3x as thick as the sides are (that you can see inside the receiver). Mine measures about 9.5mm at the back. The sides that you can see insire the receiver are about 3mm thick. It is also hardened and you'll need a good sharp bit and tap and lots of cutting oil. Also - take extra effort to mark your holes before you drill them. I drilled and tapped mine and added screws long enough to protrude through the inside the receiver about 3/16" and added star washers and nut and blue locktite. I think this was probably more than necessary and I am satisfied that the weak point is the mounting screws and ACE aluminum folding mechanism.

That trunnion is a strout piece of steel. I am still debating on adding a cross rivet and bushing to strengthen the forward portion of the trunnion in the receiver. I'm not certian it needs it and I hate extra holes (or rivets) in my rifles...

Macbeau sends...

Thanks for the info! Macbeau, have you had a chance to go to the range? I'm curious what the accuracy is like now that there is a stock on the rifle.

Macbeau sends...

Thanks for the info! Macbeau, have you had a chance to go to the range? I'm curious what the accuracy is like now that there is a stock on the rifle.

I did a range report about 6 weeks ago and posted it here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=58773

I was pretty impressed with the accuracy. I think it would greatly benefit with a receiver-cover mounted rear sight (A'la Galil / Valmet) as the sight radius is (and sight positions are) about the same as an 8" barreled pistol. The longer sight radius would help.

Macbeau sends...

Macbeau sends...

Looks pretty good! Where did you get the Galil handguard and what did you need to do for it to fit? I guess this will be my next project! Thanks for the help!

I was pretty impressed with the accuracy. I think it would greatly benefit with a receiver-cover mounted rear sight (A'la Galil / Valmet) as the sight radius is (and sight positions are) about the same as an 8" barreled pistol. The longer sight radius would help.

Macbeau sends...

Macbeau sends...

Looks pretty good! Where did you get the Galil handguard and what did you need to do for it to fit? I guess this will be my next project! Thanks for the help!

Macbeau sends...

Mabeau, wher did you get that Galil handguard and did you need to modify it to fit? Also, can a standard scope rail be installed on the Draco?

Thanks!

Mabeau, wher did you get that Galil handguard and did you need to modify it to fit? Also, can a standard scope rail be installed on the Draco?

Thanks!

I used an IMI, black polymer handguard and an IMI .223 AR rear handguard retainer. (you can use a .308 AR retainer, but it'll be loose) and shortend the front metal on the handguard via a file a mm or so... You also have to trim (file) the plastic that sticks out of the back of the retainer to be flush with the retainer/receiver. It's not a hard task at all. I used the stock Draco front handguard retainer, unmodified. The Galil AR foreend is pretty sweet and very tight on the rifle. It also allows for great airflow around the barrel and gas tube and has a very substantial heat shield inside.

Macbeau sends...

Thanks!

I used an IMI, black polymer handguard and an IMI .223 AR rear handguard retainer. (you can use a .308 AR retainer, but it'll be loose) and shortend the front metal on the handguard via a file a mm or so... You also have to trim (file) the plastic that sticks out of the back of the retainer to be flush with the retainer/receiver. It's not a hard task at all. I used the stock Draco front handguard retainer, unmodified. The Galil AR foreend is pretty sweet and very tight on the rifle. It also allows for great airflow around the barrel and gas tube and has a very substantial heat shield inside.

Macbeau sends...

I appreciate it!