• 4 months later...

So I couldn't help myself. I left the discussion last time I posted to go ponder my idea by myself without all the negative input, and lo and behold, I stumbled across these 2 gems:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre?blend=4&ob=5#p/search/0/LDqkgAMfBog

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre?blend=4&ob=5#p/search/1/GhAcUNjBrNE

What's in these videos, you might ask? In the first video, you get a sneak peak at the works of the AK Master himself- Marc Krebs. He's built an accurized version of the Kalashnikov platform in 6.5 Grendel. What features does it have that lend themselves over to its accuracy? It's got a free floated Shilen heavy barrel, no front or rear sight block, a milled receiver, a modified crown and flash hider, an extremely secure scope mount, and most importantly, a modified gas system. Interestingly enough, what precisely were the modifications I was proposing while a few of you suggested I had no experience with the AK and didn't know what I was talking about? All of the above, with the exception of the scope mount being replaced with an aperture rear and a front sight a la AK103 attached to the gas block, in addition to a caliber change.

In the second video, you get a more extensive view of the accurized AK platform in not only the 6.5 Grendel version, but in 2 other proof of concept rifles in 7.62 NATO and 5.56X45. They've both got all of the modifications of the original rifle, except they use milspec barrels and standard Saiga receivers. However, both films most importantly stress the gains made in accuracy by modifying the gas system. The clips don't do it justice, but the new design sort of copies the Galil and has got a retaining tube that limits the movement of the piston as a means of alleviating the irregular harmonics placed upon the barrel. The result? Greater accuracy without great sacrifices in reliability.

In closing, I'd just like to advocate a little bit more accpetance of people wanting to bounce around ideas. It seems some of you have got your emotional identities tied up in this system,and are forgetting that it is nothing more than a tool that is capable of being changed to fit the user's desires. If you've got a problem with the proposal of modification, perhaps you should return to the days of the slingshot as the original projectile dispenser, lest you become too progressive in your search for improved usability. Resorting to ad hominem attacks or unnecessarily critiquing someone's writing style does nothing but make you come across as FUDDS or "gun conservatives".

I can't wait to see what this rifle turns into when Kreb's Custom makes it a signature item!

So I couldn't help myself. I left the discussion last time I posted to go ponder my idea by myself without all the negative input, and lo and behold, I stumbled across these 2 gems:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre?blend=4&ob=5#p/search/0/LDqkgAMfBog

http://www.youtube.com/user/Sturmgewehre?blend=4&ob=5#p/search/1/GhAcUNjBrNE

What's in these videos, you might ask? In the first video, you get a sneak peak at the works of the AK Master himself- Marc Krebs. He's built an accurized version of the Kalashnikov platform in 6.5 Grendel. What features does it have that lend themselves over to its accuracy? It's got a free floated Shilen heavy barrel, no front or rear sight block, a milled receiver, a modified crown and flash hider, an extremely secure scope mount, and most importantly, a modified gas system. Interestingly enough, what precisely were the modifications I was proposing while a few of you suggested I had no experience with the AK and didn't know what I was talking about? All of the above, with the exception of the scope mount being replaced with an aperture rear and a front sight a la AK103 attached to the gas block, in addition to a caliber change.

In the second video, you get a more extensive view of the accurized AK platform in not only the 6.5 Grendel version, but in 2 other proof of concept rifles in 7.62 NATO and 5.56X45. They've both got all of the modifications of the original rifle, except they use milspec barrels and standard Saiga receivers. However, both films most importantly stress the gains made in accuracy by modifying the gas system. The clips don't do it justice, but the new design sort of copies the Galil and has got a retaining tube that limits the movement of the piston as a means of alleviating the irregular harmonics placed upon the barrel. The result? Greater accuracy without great sacrifices in reliability.

In closing, I'd just like to advocate a little bit more accpetance of people wanting to bounce around ideas. It seems some of you have got your emotional identities tied up in this system,and are forgetting that it is nothing more than a tool that is capable of being changed to fit the user's desires. If you've got a problem with the proposal of modification, perhaps you should return to the days of the slingshot as the original projectile dispenser, lest you become too progressive in your search for improved usability. Resorting to ad hominem attacks or unnecessarily critiquing someone's writing style does nothing but make you come across as FUDDS or "gun conservatives".

I can't wait to see what this rifle turns into when Kreb's Custom makes it a signature item!

I made it through the first paragraph of your post before the pomposity got to me. Tone it down, man. Nobody told you that it was impossible to make your idea come true - only that it was impractical, even a misapplication of effort. Another poster suggested using a cartridge more prone to accuracy, as Mr. Krebs has done.

It should also be noted that a milled AK-47 type rifle does not have trunnions. The barrel is threaded directly into the receiver. The stock fits into a milled cavity in the rear of the receiver, secured by screws to two tangs welded directly to the receiver.

Mr. Krebs went to a great deal of effort and expense to make an extremely accurate AK rifle - he built a hell of a weapon. Mr. Krebs has a high level of knowledge and access to resources, thus such a project is practical for him.

Observing this thread, I mostly saw folks trying to steer you away from a project that you could not afford. You stated in your very first post that you were trying to produce an accurate rifle, cheaply. Your suggested modifications were not inexpensive; this meant either the expense or the intended goal had to suffer. It is reasonable, absent a correction provided by you, to assume that a college student does not have the resources to fund the custom design and fabrication of several complex rifle parts. In the spirit of helping you obtain a rifle that would perform well within your proposed budget, suggestions, not all of which were entirely civil, were made.

I did not find your use of language offensive or arrogant. Clearly, my writing also lacks concision. Until your most recent post, I felt there had been a fairly constructive dialogue in this thread. It doesn't seem there was much point to that most recent post beyond some obscure need to feel that you had "won".

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I've been reading this one for a long time, and decided to revisit it today.

Here's a musing I have had: Is this rifle built yet?

Why not?

018.gif

Oh yeah- nobody likes "I told you so" either.

• Like 1