Optics Help

Hello all. I honestly had never even heard of the Saiga in my life, except for in an episode of Burn Notice lol. In any case, I've fallen in love with this weapon through the forums here, and have decided to go ahead and get one when my taxes come in. I am legally blind in my right eye due to an accident earlier in life, and since I'm right handed, I was wondering if mounting a red-dot or holographic sight towards the front of the Saiga using a full legnth rail would allow me to acquire targets using my left eye while still having the gun at my right shoulder. I haven't had any problem aiming with my other shotgun (Sears model 200), but it has a very long barrel. I believe it's 26". I was just wondering if this would help me at all, or if I just need to practice shooting southpaw.

Edited by fatboy501

Hello all. I honestly had never even heard of the Saiga in my life, except for in an episode of Burn Notice lol. In any case, I've fallen in love with this weapon through the forums here, and have decided to go ahead and get one when my taxes come in. I am legally blind in my right eye due to an accident earlier in life, and since I'm right handed, I was wondering if mounting a red-dot or holographic sight towards the front of the Saiga using a full legnth rail would allow me to acquire targets using my left eye while still having the gun at my right shoulder. I haven't had any problem aiming with my other shotgun (Sears model 200), but it has a very long barrel. I believe it's 26". I was just wondering if this would help me at all, or if I just need to practice shooting southpaw.

Welcome....I have a Burris FastFire mounted on my Chaos quad rail at the front ...works great......

I was just wondering if this would help me at all, or if I just need to practice shooting southpaw.

That's the way to go, in my view. I practice shooting from both shoulders and transitioning from one to another, although I favor the right side. In your position, I would make the left shoulder my primary. The non-dominant side can learn to do things just as well as the dominant side with practice. (I lost the use of my right hand temporarily once, and found this to be true).

Also, a left-offset PK-AS might be a good optic for your situation. You can use it with your left eye very naturally from the left shoulder, and decently well from the right shoulder with a bit of practice. One nice thing about this sight is that you barely see the body of the optic itself when you are looking through it, something that I think would be especially desirable if one eye is bad.

Someone is selling two of these optics in the WTS section right now I think.

ak105_060b.jpg

2920619790028342462S600x600Q85.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: Not sure if a PK-AS could withstand the recoil of an S-12 over time. Probably. Would have to research to know for sure.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I'd think about an EoTech on a Chaos or Ultimak rail. The EoTech won't have the barrel/tube effect of an Aimpoint or similar if you continue to shoot the way you do now.

That was my first thought, but the rifle would be very front heavy. Also, there have been numerous reports of Eotechs shutting off on Ultimak rails on account of the heat. If that happens, he can't even fall back on iron sights.

I'd think about an EoTech on a Chaos or Ultimak rail. The EoTech won't have the barrel/tube effect of an Aimpoint or similar if you continue to shoot the way you do now.

That was my first thought, but the rifle would be very front heavy. Also, there have been numerous reports of Eotechs shutting off on Ultimak rails on account of the heat. If that happens, he can't even fall back on iron sights.

True, it would be a little front heavy, but a lot of people put giant "muzzle devices" way out front and don't seem to mind. :rolleyes: Plus, I don't think you'd have to put an Eo as far forward as an Aimpoint to accomplish what the OP is looking for...

My experience has been nothing but positive with EoTech. My XPS has spent some time on a Draco with an Ultimak and I never had a problem with heat or recoil, though I've heard that others have. I like the battery life of Aimpoints, but I love the reticle on an EoTech and the way it disappears from my field of view.

If the OP is willing to change the side he sholders the weapon, your mounting solution is his best option, IMO.

Edited by mammynun

I was just wondering if this would help me at all, or if I just need to practice shooting southpaw.

EDITED TO ADD: Not sure if a PK-AS could withstand the recoil of an S-12 over time. Probably. Would have to research to know for sure.

I imagine the PK-AS would do fine under Saiga 12 recoil. The Kobras, and other Russian made AK optics are usually built like tanks. I'd guess the PK-AS is as well.

The PK-AS most definately does NOT do well with an S12, this is the reason I've switched to the Rakurz

Notice how the elevation shaft has popped out and the scope is pointing at the ground. It happens due to the recoil working the screws loose and it actually happens pretty fast.

PKAS_ElevationShaft.jpg

In any case the PK-AS seems to work best when employed with both eyes open during shooting. Part of the reason they seem awkward to right handed right eye shooters is probably because we try too hard to use them with our main shooting eye, when they really work better with both eyes.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

The PK-AS most definately does NOT do well with an S12, this is the reason I've switched to the Rakurz

In any case the PK-AS seems to work best when employed with both eyes open during shooting. Part of the reason they seem awkward to right handed right eye shooters is probably because we try too hard to use them with our main shooting eye, when they really work better with both eyes.

Well, what about the Rakurz then? It is similarly offset like the PK-AS. I know that these sights work best with both eyes, but could they be run effectively with only one? Or should the OP look for maybe some high visibility iron sights instead?

The Rakurz is not offset, its centered over the bore. You can use the Rakurz with both eyes or with left or right if you adjust your cheekweld a bit.

The PK-AS can be used with the right eye but you won't have a cheekweld, the PK-A will get you a tad of cheekweld if you use your right eye. As I mentioned all of these sights work well with both eyes ... if the OP can only use his left they will still work with both eyes open, without having to break the cheekweld much.

Z