is the chrome in the gas port 'Hard Chrome' or 'Chrome Plated'?

I was doing some basic maintenance cleaning my saiga. I put some hoppes 9 on a rag and wiped out the gas port (not soaked it just a quick clean and I wiped it out). I noticed a buildup of carbon on the side and scraped it off with the punch included in the AK cleaning kit. It ran across the side of the gas port a little and left a little line on the surface of the port leading to the carbon. I cant tell if its a line in the carbon fouling or in the chrome.

So that is why I am asking about the Strength or "thickness" of the chrome and if its plated or hard chrome. I also dont want to completely clean out my gas port because its not only annoying but over cleaning can be very bad in that area.

If my question isnt clear just let me know so I can re-phrase it.

Anything regarding the durability or strength in the gas port chrome would be great.

Also if I did scratch the chrome (keep in mind I wasnt really using all that much force) what kind of problems should I expect?

I wouldn't worry about it. The chrome is harder than the punch from the cleaning kit. With the texture on the chrome in the gas block being somewhat rough, it's possible that you actually left behind a line from the punch actually being worn down when you scraped it along the chrome. Sort of like chalk on a sidewalk, but with slightly harder materials.

you're barrel is lined with chrome as well and if you shoot slugs or shot out of it there is a lot more force at work than what you did, I'd stay away from using any sharp steel but other than that don't worry too much.

One last question while we are on the subject of chrome...I mentioned I used hoppes to clean the port, and I was just reading that hoppes is bad for chrome. Is this true? I just used some winchester degreaser to clean it of the hoppes and applied a thin layer of CLP...was this the correct action to take to stop it from any peeling? Or is hoppes not going to damage it?

• 3 weeks later...

Copper is used in cosmetic chrome plating to give a nice subsurface to polish. If your substrate doesn't have a mirror finish, your final finish won't either. Nickel is added over that giving the silver finish, chrome is actuaslly clear and protects the nickel. Hard chrome finishes are simply chrome over the bare metal. There is a patented method used mostly in aircraft cylinders, but I'm not sure how much different it is from what's used on firearms. I know there is an etching process to pomote lubrication, gives the cylinder a crazed look.