Conversion Conundrum

I am in the middle of converting my .308 and have run into a snag. The rivet/bolt hole for the front part of the trigger guard is to close to the mag release. If I drill a secondary hole just behind it back towards the trigger, will I be jeopradizing the integrity of the receiver? The trigger guard I have is from CSS and is the angled design. This will make two holes I will have to drill.... front and rear bolt holes for mounting the trigger guard. Thanks.

I am in the middle of converting my .308 and have run into a snag. The rivet/bolt hole for the front part of the trigger guard is to close to the mag release. If I drill a secondary hole just behind it back towards the trigger, will I be jeopradizing the integrity of the receiver? The trigger guard I have is from CSS and is the angled design. This will make two holes I will have to drill.... front and rear bolt holes for mounting the trigger guard. Thanks.

I hope not, because I just finished the conversion on mine and ran into the exact same thing. I went ahead and drilled a new hole just to the rear of the original hole for the front trigger guard screw and also drilled the hole for the rear trigger guard screw. IMHO it will not hurt the integrity of the receiver. There is plenty of metal all around the holes and the holes do not connect. The trigger guard will cover the front hole when installed so there will not be any exposed holes once the trigger guard is installed.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I just hit the same snag. I guess I'm gonna have to drill 2 holes too. Any advice on how to get these holes lined up correctly? The tg blocks any attempt to use the tg holes to mark the receiver so I guess I just need to measure and mark the placement on the receiver, is that what you did? I just know I'm gonna drill off-center. Any advice would be great! Thanks

Ok a little trick that some people have done if you dont want to drill that hole is that the front edge of the tg may well wedge tight enough under the release not to have to worry about a second screw at all. Some vids on youtube I believe of exactly that. This may be only valid if you reuse the old tg, not sure.

I always put that hole under the release even though its a pain to get done. Drill presses are worth their weight sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done 2 conversions (308&762) I just slid the front of the factory triggerguard under the mag release, no screw. It is plenty tight if you bend the triggerguard in such a way that it creates spring tension when installed. I bend the trigger guard to where it is about .19" flexed beyond the rear tg screw hole and flex it in to place.

Comparatively it is tighter than the trigger guard on any fal I've ever handled. Completely secure and One of the only shortcuts I'll use on a saiga conversion.