What exactly are you looking to ask?

just a guess but around 95% of the ak ammo people use is steel cased. Surplus is the cheapest way to go. There is some surplus brass. There is also zinc plated, lacquer coated, poly coated....most all surplus is steel cased despite what is is coated with.

Are you looking for opinions on the best surplus ammo?

Well there will be many opinions on that, but listen to none. Golden Tiger is the best :haha: but im just a golden tiger whore.

Not the number I post is likely not an accurate statistic, just an example let you know most surplus ammo on the market is steel cased.

Edited by Chevyman097

The best secret in AK ammo has got to be the Wolf Military Classic 124 gr HP round, featuring the devastating 8M3 "Sapsan" bullet. According to many tests, that stuff has the terminal ballistics close to that of expensive Hornady rounds, fragmenting, yawing and punching fist-sized holes in gelatin and wet paper. The best thing is, if you shop around, you can find it for about $200 per 1000! It stock up on that stuff and some Yugo surplus FMJ. It comes in polymer coated steel cases. Polymer coating is not very resistant to corrosion, but I just vacuum seal the stuff for long storage.

I asked over at TFL about steel cased ammo and everyone was saying dont use it, itll mess up ur extracting pin or itll get stuck in the barrel cause the lacquer coat will melt to the barrel or something like that. so i guess my question is more or less can i use steel cased ammo without worrying about anything breaking on the gun

I asked over at TFL about steel cased ammo and everyone was saying dont use it, itll mess up ur extracting pin or itll get stuck in the barrel cause the lacquer coat will melt to the barrel or something like that. so i guess my question is more or less can i use steel cased ammo without worrying about anything breaking on the gun

False.

An AK,SKS,etc.were MADE to run steel case ammo. We're not talking about a Mini-30 here, which I can just about guarantee you will have issues with it, but an AK or SKS, will eat it like candy.

I would suggest not listening to anything else they say. Doesnt sound like whoever told you that has a clue in the world, when you dont know its best to shut it. People like that are the ones that start crazy ass gun rumors.

Steel ammo is perfectly fine for any AK. What do you think surplus ammo was designed for? AKs

• Like 1

My Saiga has never seen brass case! Check out your local Walmart. Mine now carrys Ulyanovsk 122gr. FMJ for $4.97 a box of 20. Not the cheapest price but not bad if your stopping on your way to the range. Local gun stores sell the Russian steel case at $7 a box and up. Walmart also has Tula pistol ammo with steel case.

I keep hearing about problems with steel cased ammunition, it is not my experience. I've stated before; I've shot tens of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through my Glocks, Springfield 1911, SigSaur P-230, Uzis, AKs, ARs, FAL, etc. I personally have seen no ill effects from doing so. Copper washed, lacquer, polymer, makes no difference.

Edited by Jager