Paulyski and Evil..............I opened my ports.

if the gun is now overgassed with ports drilled out simply install a $10 recoil buffer,job done.now you have a fun gun that shoots cheap birdshot for plinking and is reliable and fun and cheap to go out and play,or shoot 00 buck and slugs for wet work.best of both worlds.NOBODY likes a firearm that has FTE problems.

No my gun is not over gassed.

I tried the lipstick method (used nail polish instead). The 17.5 grn load with 7/8 does not even touch the rear trunnion.

Factory 1oz loads do not touch either nor do 1 1/8 loads.

Let make it clear I did not open up my ports just to shoot lite loads. I just reload lite loads most of the time.

With the right powder, wad, and primer combination I can get my gun to function where the factory stuff would work 98%. Factory loaded ammunition is not always CONSISTENT. That is why you may run into a low powered round or two or more while shooting. That in turn will cause FTE, FTL....and other related functioning issues related to ammunition.

My ports were undersized in fact two of them were almost not even drilled completely into the barrel. They just had very small pin holes.

Very little metal was removed...very very little to open them up to 3/32 or 0.093.

Just because you open your ports does not mean a gun is now over gassed...........................a gas plug regulates that.

Best

Frosty

i run everything from winchester universal, to three inch mags. also some pretty stout handloads. my three port gun is opened to 3/32. i also use mikes v plug.

my guns not overgassed. now if i was dumb and ran full mag rnds on my highest gas setting, then there might be issues. this mod isnt the awnser to every s12

but after trying all the other little mods out there, that one gave the best resulsts. when using different ammo, i always start on the lowest setting on my v plug, then work up untill it cycles fine. anyway guess what im trying to say, is that its not for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Just because you open up the ports, that doesn't mean that your gun is over-gassed. I opened up all three of mine to 7/64 or .109375, then I ran hundreds of shells through it, I have only light marking on my rear trunnion and rear of the bolt. I also still had to run the V-plug on setting 5 for Federal bulk pack, but I could shoot it from the hip if I so desired...

On setting 1 of the V-plug with 3" magnum slugs, it cycled smooth as butter and I couldn't detect any rear trunnion contact.

The only downside to ports this big are that after 200 low-brass rounds I had to remove a giant wad-'o-shit from the gas block and I had to use my picks to clean up my ports but I'm fine with that. I don't ever see the need to fire that many rounds in a serious situation and if so, well, I can't load my mags and drum that fast anyway so I'll be tactical loading the old pump-action.