New Member, New Saiga

Hello all, I just bought a saiga .308 16"barrel. I plan to use it for pig hunting.

I have some questions regarding Ammo, Can I use .308 WIN reload data or do I need to use .308 service rifle data What loads have yall had success with for hunting?

Also, mine came with a 25 rnd magazine, it says made in USA, is it legal? I wouldn't think a new gun would come in illegal form, but I guess it could.

I'm sure I will have more questions later, Sam

Well most of the way there.. A stock saiga has 14 counted parts for 922r, you are allowed to have 10 imported parts on a rifle that no longer meets "sporting", due to mag capacity, or having a pistol grip. Mags count for three parts so you just need to change one extra part. I feel the hand guard is simple and cheap.

I've used a lot of normal .308 rounds, as have many on this board. So you should be fine using either.

If you happen to need a 5 round mag for hunting, I make a steel 5 round for $30 shipped.

Welcome to the club.

PS: If you want a pistol grip I suggest the full conversion to normal AK pattern stock and pistol grip vs the after market pistol grip stock combo.

I will try to get some pics later, my phone isn't sending email for some reason right now?

From what I can tell the gun has never been shot. How can I tell if something has been changed to make it compliant? I wonder if the shop owner put the larger magazine on it for more appeal or he sold the magazine off of it and replaced it with the larger one?

Sam

From what I can tell the gun has never been shot. How can I tell if something has been changed to make it compliant? I wonder if the shop owner put the larger magazine on it for more appeal or he sold the magazine off of it and replaced it with the larger one?

Sam

Well most US parts have a different look, so pictures help... Other wise most parts have a maker or at least "MADE IN USA" marked on them.

The dealer probably did, most don't know import laws... Many know but don't care.

He may have swapped mags figuring that it would cover the cost, if its a promag then the factory mag is actually worth more.

First off welcome to a great sight,

Next, the issue of the mag, in accordance with a letter from BATFE, posted in the legal section here, it is not illegal to posses an imported rifle that is not compliant, it is illegal to assemble a weapon that is non-compliant. So if you purchased the rifle that way it is OK, but again who wants the hassle.... As stated you should convert the rifle as long as it is legal to do so in your State....

As far as hand loads go, I have shot some rounds from my 308 that I loaded with 168gr BTHP, 43gr of 4320 powder and Wolf LR primers, you could tell the difference between the rounds fired, the reloads where louder and had a bigger kick to it, I could not tell accuracy because I was at the 300 yard range and was not trying for accuracy just the reaction of the rifle itself, it seemed OK and since it chewed up my brass I did not fire more then 3 rounds from it...