Damn, I'm going "Plum Crazy"

Based on a re-evaluation (and boredom) I'm going with K-Var PLum Warsaw stock set, and AK74 FSB on my 7.62x39 Saiga. SInce I now live in town now, I have switched to using my Remington 870 20" deer shotgun as my primary home defense weapon. The Saiga now becomes a project. I have lower handguard retainer and plum stock set ordered from Greg at CSS, and a FSB from Blackthorne (oh, be quiet! I happen to like the Blackthorne FSB!). I'll probably sell, the Rommy folder, the Intrafuse handguard and front grip, Molot grip, and Tapco M16A1 FH. Now I need to get a decent AK103 brake, without breaking the bank. I know, I know, I am always changing things around, but it like playing with an erector set! :haha:

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 2
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ha ha, I called it. Now we start the countdown for you to sell the rifle. ;-)   Good choice on the plum by the way.

Based on a re-evaluation (and boredom) I'm going with K-Var PLum Warsaw stock set, and AK74 FSB on my 7.62x39 Saiga. SInce I now live in town now, I have switched to using my Remington 870 20" deer s

Good choice Rangemaster. You wont be disappointed. I wasnt! The plum looks great. I cant stop looking at it while im around her.    

Posted Images

Hahahahaha! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Hopefully that will be a long time away! After 3-4 years of trials and tribulations, I finally sold my house, paid off ALL my bills, and I now have a job again. The last 3 years have been hanging on by my fingernails. I am actually better off now than I have been since Igretired and left Law Enforcement in 2000.

I Bet you a six pack I still have it 1 January 2012! Actually I decided to go plum when I sat down and thought what I would want it to look like a couple years down the road, and decided not to wait! I didn't want it to be an "almost restoration!" :killer: :killer: :killer:

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 2

Hahahahaha! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Hopefully that will be a long time away! After 3-4 years of trials and tribulations, I finally sold my house, paid off ALL my bills, and I now have a job again. The last 3 years have been hanging on by my fingernails. I am actually better off now than I have been since Igretired and left Law Enforcement in 2000.

I Bet you a six pack I still have it 1 January 2012! Actually I decided to go plum when I sat down and thought what I would want it to look like a couple years down the road, and decided not to wait! I didn't want it to be an "almost restoration!" :killer: :killer: :killer:

On another note, you have a lot of experience with threading the barrel for the A1 flash hider. Would you mind popping over to my other thread and telling me what the heck I'm doing wrong? Basically, after screwing the die onto the TAT all the way down to the barrel face, I can't stop the TAT from turning with the die, and thus no cutting takes place except a slight nicking at the very top.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Couldn't find the thread you were talking about, but I'll give you a quick tutorial.

First, make sure you are usi ng the right side of the die disk. You might have the die disk too tight so it is grabbing the TAT. Try loosening the disk and cut a little large with TAT. After you cut, back off and cut again with the die tighter, and no TAT. Keep it gooped with oil (I like 30 weight or cutting oil). If that doesn't work, only seat the TAT 1/2 way into the die disk and tighten to hold TAT. Then try cutting.

TIPS: Only try 1/16 to 1/8 turn and back off. It helps to cut a SLIGHT notch with a file at 45 degree angle on outer edge, with one face of the notch about 90 degrees to cut teeth. It helps give the die a chance to catch. it should be very slight.

PM me if you have questions.

Plum is a good choice! Also, after shot show US Palm is putting out a plum 30 round magazine. Not my thing, since I can afford ((10)) plums, but for an ex-cop or a southerner it makes a great stop-gap solution :lolol:

Good Choice btw!

• Like 2

Sal, I just had a thought. I have that Krink 24mm FH you sent me. As long as it doesn't over-gas my baby, I use that until I find a good deal on a AK103 brake.

BTW: Since I got the Molot grip free from another board member, I will pass the favor along and do the same. First I'll take it gets it!

• Like 1

Sal, I just had a thought. I have that Krink 24mm FH you sent me. As long as it doesn't over-gas my baby, I use that until I find a good deal on a AK103 brake.

The Krink 24mm isn't a flash hider, its a booster and will definately overgas a fullsize rifle. Probably not a good idea to run it alot.

Z

The Krink 24mm isn't a flash hider, its a booster and will definately overgas a fullsize rifle. Probably not a good idea to run it alot.

Z

Just temporary until I find a good buy on a AK103. Besides, I have a perforated Chinese gas tube which will compensate some. It is not a true Krink, either. It has several escape holes on the top like an AK74 brake.

Chris Butler makes a great AK103 brake but its pricey, a much cheaper alternative would be to get a common Bulgarian 74 brake and have it milled out a bit. Glad to hear the krink booster has holes in it :)

Z

Krebs and Arsenal both have decent Ak103 brakes, but not chrome lined. That doesn't bother me because I don't shoot corrosive. The price tag of $65-70 puts me off for the moment. I would rather find a second hand one. I could always get a cheap one from Combat Hunting, but that would just be for show.

cnc warrior also makes a good low end 74 pattern unit. thanks for the grip bro!

BTW the cone "booster" you got will work fine, although TX-Zen is correct, a standard booster would over gas the rifle. This unit is actually a brake made to cosmeticlly look like a krink style.... it was $20 or so from copes a while ago, I forgot the maker.

i still want to get one of CNC's flash hiders. just havent sprung the cash for one yet. the grip is great. im sure you will enjoy it. i had picked it up from a guy that makes and sells them on ak forum. you probably already know which guy, but if you need, i can dig up the name. he will vouch its a US piece if needed, since it is not marked.

I am actually suprised it stayed on your rifle as long as it did imarangemaster. i know how you love to change your saigas up. :P

BTW the cone "booster" you got will work fine, although TX-Zen is correct, a standard booster would over gas the rifle. This unit is actually a brake made to cosmeticlly look like a krink style.... it was $20 or so from copes a while ago, I forgot the maker.

I checked his web page and only saw one 24mm brake listed. Is it just 5.45/223 or is it good for 7.62? I think that would be good enough for my needs, without breaking the bank.

I checked his web page and only saw one 24mm brake listed. Is it just 5.45/223 or is it good for 7.62? I think that would be good enough for my needs, without breaking the bank.

One of them is for 7.62, just phone him (or if you are a member on one of the forums he is a member of PM ObiWonBonJovi, thats him I believe).

The bulgarian flash hider is 7.62 for a fact as Ive seen them work on saiga 308's, so I am fairly sure he did a 74 pattern in that caliber as well.... again, the phone is a wonderful tool!!! :super:

so why did you decide to go with the ak style hand guards?

Purely aesthetic. SInce I am now using the 870 as a first grab weapon, and I got a Sterling Armalite AR-180 which is now my personal favorite, I decided to go plum and AK103 FSB and brake. I want to replicate a military weapon. If it was my oly black gun, I would have stuck with the current set-up.

• Like 1

i just found a place that carries new production plum slings. i have to have one. i just hope the color matches well enough.

BigSal, that grip is made by Ronin.

Edited by GregM1
  • Like 2

Hahaha! I do still think the Intrafuse does a better job protecting the hand and cooling. As I said, if it was my one and only go to rifle, I would keep it. Now I just want it to be another pretty face!!!!! At least the AR is an Armalite AR-180! Old Mr. Kalashnikov would approve of it (except for caliber).

i just found a place that carries new production plum slings. i have to have one. i just hope the color matches well enough.

BigSal, that grip is made by Ronin.

I think rangemasters grip is made by md arms. I have a ronin grip (plum colored) on its way from a sale on the akforum.

I think rangemasters grip is made by md arms. I have a ronin grip (plum colored) on its way from a sale on the akforum.

Unless he changed grips, its definitely a Ronin. Keep me informed about how well his plum matches the rest of your furniture. Back when it was on my rifle.

4789568794_4b7a0555fd_z.jpg

Edited by GregM1
  • Like 1