nice 5.45 ballistic testing thread at theakforum.net

Just wanted to pass this on, thought some of you guys might be interested. User voron over at theakforum.net soaked some thick phone books thoroughly with water, backed them up with three wood boards, and then proceeded to blast them with several 5.45 varieties, one 5.56 load, and Yugo x39. The pics are well worth viewing:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=146732&p=1173446#

Voron's quick summary:

results: 7N6 preformed very well, tumbeled and turned, yet penetrated thought ALL the way through. keyholing as it traveled. no issues

Hornady - MASSIVE expansion rigth away. did not penetrate the the boards though as it being a ballistic tip

golden tiger/wolf/commercial stuff punched little holes.

7.62 military YUGO did well as well, little expansion but a nice 30 cal hole.

Looks like 7N6 is still the best all-around choice for personal defense (for 5.45 at least).

Edited by Jim Digriz

Gotta be registered and logged in.

Does he have videos on youtube? I was watching one yesterday of wet phone books with the 5.45 Hornady bullet, HOLY crap there was a fist sized hole put in it!

Edited by Mullet Man

Gotta be registered and logged in.

Well, I figured that might be the case. In my opinion, every AK owner should have an account over there! Lots of informative stuff and a huge marketplace.

Anyhow, the pics were fairly compelling. Too bad you can't see them. ;-)

Does he have videos on youtube?

None that I know of.

I was watching one yesterday of wet phone books with the 5.45 Hornady bullet, HOLY crap was there a hole put in it!

The Hornady bullet would be pretty good, if you knew in advance you wouldn't have to shoot through something like a bullet-proof vest, wall, piece of substantial furniture, etc. What impressed me about the 7N6 performance in his tests was that it did substantial damage to the phone book, and easily penetrated all three backing boards (even though it was traveling sideways at that time). The Hornady did not penetrate any of the boards.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

Pretty impressive video.

Here are a couple of the pics from voron's test:

Hornady rapid expansion:

bullet016.jpg

7N6 exit hole left, Hornady right:

bullet025.jpg

So Hornady rapidly expands and dumps nearly all of its energy quick, while 7N6 does good damage early but retains enough potency to continue penetrating and tumbling on.

I think I'd like to try a similar test, this time with a board or two in the front rather than some behind. The purpose would be to see what happens when the bullet has to penetrate a barrier of some sort first. I suspect that the Hornady will deplete much of its energy in the boards and fail to do much damage to the phone book.

Edited by Jim Digriz

I think I'd like to try a similar test, this time with a board or two in the front rather than some behind. The purpose would be to see what happens when the bullet has to penetrate a barrier of some sort first. I suspect that the Hornady will deplete much of its energy in the boards and fail to do much damage to the phone book.

That'd be cool to see.

I'm thinking of running to Gander Mountain to pick up a box or 2 of the VMAX and do my own video comparo between it and the Russian surplus.

Is that small hole in the phonebook in the 1st pic from the 7n6?

Just wanted to pass this on, thought some of you guys might be interested. User voron over at theakforum.net soaked some thick phone books thoroughly with water, backed them up with three wood boards, and then proceeded to blast them with several 5.45 varieties, one 5.56 load, and Yugo x39. The pics are well worth viewing:

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=146732&p=1173446#

Voron's quick summary:

results: 7N6 preformed very well, tumbeled and turned, yet penetrated thought ALL the way through. keyholing as it traveled. no issues

Hornady - MASSIVE expansion rigth away. did not penetrate the the boards though as it being a ballistic tip

golden tiger/wolf/commercial stuff punched little holes.

7.62 military YUGO did well as well, little expansion but a nice 30 cal hole.

Looks like 7N6 is still the best all-around choice for personal defense (for 5.45 at least).

It would have been nice to see some Wolf 7.62 MC HP with the 8M3 Sapsan bullet also used in the test.

Well, no Hornady VMAX at my GM. They couldnt even find it in there computer, or there supplier, noone there had even heard of it. Looks like it'll be an online order.

I'm running a Craigslist want ad for old phonebooks :angel: When i get around to doing the vids, i'll try and have a nice little assortment of ammo in .22, .30cal, 12 and 20g slugs (limited to the rifle calibers i own of course)

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1