give her a touch up

Is some high temp black gonna match the russians for some touch up or any better suggestions??? I know my ocd is showing.

Completely disassemble it and paint the whole thing. I use Rustoleum Professional Series High Performance enamel (semi-gloss black). Spray on one very thin coat, a second thin coat 30 minutes later, and an hour after the second coat, mist it from about 20" away (to give it a slight texture). If you remove all oil (I just use brake cleaner and a heat gun), the stuff sticks great, especially to the factory finish. Like nearly any other spray paint, it will separate if you try to apply it in the cold weather. I have used it with success in the cold, but the piece was heated and the paint was heated before painting. It isn't an exact perfect match for the factory Saiga finish, but close and it actually looks better. It is a near dead ringer for the Arsenal finsh when done right.

Not great pics, but here are a couple samples....

post-22401-0-79052700-1294927372_thumb.jpg

SGL-21 before.... (had been soaked in paint thinner for a couple days.... long story)

post-22401-0-25256100-1294927575_thumb.jpg

SGL-21 after....

post-22401-0-75205400-1294927599_thumb.jpg

Probably depends on if the brake clean is chlorinated. Some takes off paint some doesn't!

+1

I like using it because it 'primes' the original finish a bit and blasts away most oil and debris.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I swear i read on here befor that brake cleaner would strip the finish off the receiver, have you experienced this at all???

Yes, it does remove a slight amount of paint. Well.... it doesn't create bare spots, but after you spray it, the liquid that drips off is slightly tinted (like watered down purple Koolaid). I use it minimally to clean my S12s if I run them in the rain. It tends to run the water and bad lube out of the cracks and crevices. I wouldn't try it on a Bulgarian AK though.

It will 'haze' it slightly, but some CLP on a rag brings it back.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I use Rustoleum textured flat-black, and I can't tell a difference between the factory finish and my own work, but then again, I DID apply it in pretty much the same manner as Evl did...

+ 1 for Rustoleum products. I am clueless as to why Krylon is so widely used.

Edited by evlblkwpnz