308, 7.62x39, or 5.45

What do you want to do with it and what role do you want it to fill?

Personally I'd go with 5.45 if you don't already have a high capacity, intermediate cartridge, semiautomatic rifle.

^ What he said.

It's a matter of what you're looking for in the rifle. The 5.45 and 7.62 are cheap to shoot if you're going for a plinker. The .308 has a wider variety of excellent ammo choices for obtaining out-of-the-box accuracy. If you're going to convert the rifle, surplus magazines and accessories for the 7.62 and 5.45 are cheap and readily available. The .308 can use many of the same accessories as its smaller brethren though magazines are almost entirely expensive, aftermarket examples.

Personally, I have a .308 in my safe, a 7.62 on order (for a couple months now, oddly), and have taken strides to get a .223 rifle. Those are calibers I have plenty of ammo for because I use them in other guns too.

Edited by DrThunder88

Right now 5.45x39 ammo can be had in bulk for around $.13/rd in lots of 1000 or more. It also has the ballistics (nearly) of the 5.56 NATO (.223) - flat trajectory out to 600+ meters. Due to it's rather light projectile it isn't the best for hunting intermediate game, although it should be great for varmints.

The 7.62x39 has the ballistics of a 30-30 (400-450 meters max), but the ammo is still relatively cheap @ around $.19/round in bulk. The projectile is heaver (although slower) so it hits harder and would be good for intermediate game at rather close range.

The 7.62 NATO (.308) is by far the best hunting round. There are lots of hunting loads out there and great ballistics out to 1000m if you and the rifle are that good. The ammo is rather expensive compared to the other 2, but the rifle itself is very flexible in it's roles.

The big question is still, "What do you intend to do with it?" If primarily a range rifle go with 5.45x39 for it's cheap ammo. The 7.62x39 would work as well for that role.

No matter which one you choose, the addiction just gets worse!!!

JG

I would be going to the range with it primarily to play around, so from the sounds overall sounds like the 5.45. Kinda what I was leaning towards but figured I'd get some opinions, thanx!!!

5.45 for range plinker. I have a 7.62 which doesn't get used cause of the 5.45. If you want one gun and plan to hunt maybe hogs then 7.62 no hunting then the 5.45 all the way. To be honest I plan on using my 5.45 to hunt hogs. Hornady ammo is available so I will try it out. We will see- you can't go wrong between the 2