AK-74 Brake US Made (looking for zig-zags) Krebs, AK103.com, K-Var

Do any of the us made AK-74 style brakes come with the zig-zag vents/slots? I have heard that the Tapco's are not considered authentic due to the chambers, holes and the lack of vents. I am not looking for a Tapco.

I have seen Krebs, AK103.com and the K-Var brakes talked about, but I have not seen the vents on these (most pictures do not show where the zig-zags are if they are present).

Krebs doesn't say, what is that adaptor thing on the drop down below on the site?

I visited the AK103.com site, but I cannot tell the price.

K-Var doesn't say either.

Thanks!

Do any of the us made AK-74 style brakes come with the zig-zag vents/slots?
I dont think so, Only half moon(KVAR, AK103, KREBS) and 6 port(tapco/dinzag).
I have heard that the Tapco's are not considered authentic due to the chambers, holes and the lack of vents. I am not looking for a Tapco.
Tapcos dont have 24x1.5mm threads, only 14x1. The ports are inline on the top and has 4 ports in the front, but some say it works fine. I have a 2 dinzag 24x1.5mm 74 brakes that have the 4 ports up front and 2 offset ports on top(no venting) just straight holes.
I have seen Krebs, AK103.com and the K-Var brakes talked about, but I have not seen the vents on these (most pictures do not show where the zig-zags are if they are present). Krebs doesn't say, what is that adaptor thing on the drop down below on the site? I visited the AK103.com site, but I cannot tell the price.
Mine was $106 shipped. Best quality one I have. Chrome lined. Ports are in correct spots with correct venting like the zigzag. I asked them to make it for my .308 and its just awesome.
K-Var doesn't say either. Thanks!
KVARS are half moon and probably have offset holes on top. not sure if they vent but probably aswell. Zigzags are usually foreign made. Made for 5.45, I have one on my .223. People have had problems running them on 7.62. It has venting on the holes. I will post pictures of all of them later today. I have a Krebs, (2)Dinzag, AK103, and Zigzag. If I had to rank them all least to greatest(IMO): tapco, dinzag, krebs, kvar, zigzag, ak103. thats also cheapest to most expensive. <BR>And also when I say venting, im talking about the hole diameter on the top holes. Starts off small and increases in size. Edited by AZG

AZG, thanks for your reply!

Is the $106 on the AK103? It is a little confusing.

I do not know if I know what you mean by half moon. I have heard of this, but not sure. Is this a slot/vent like the zig zag vents?

Pics would be great. Thanks for your help!

AZG, thanks for your reply!

Is the $106 on the AK103? It is a little confusing.

yeah, sorry about that.

I do not know if I know what you mean by half moon. I have heard of this, but not sure. Is this a slot/vent like the zig zag vents?

Pics would be great. Thanks for your help!

I'm almost done taking pics. Post tomorrow morning sometime

About 1/3 the way down, will show you all the different variants of authentic '74 brakes.

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/variants.html

The half moons description comes from the chamber slots looking like half moons. They'll be in the same position as the zigzag slots found on zigzag brakes.

The whole page is a good read.

Edited by Mullet Man

Im glad someone posted that link. Ive been looking but have been too busy to really look. But since I said Id post pics here they are.

Zigzag. $35

post-24335-0-98984100-1295117190_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-81925400-1295113432_thumb.jpg

Dinzag's $40

post-24335-0-17474800-1295114191_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-42146300-1295113539_thumb.jpg

AK103 $106

post-24335-0-39627800-1295113470_thumb.jpg

post-24335-0-47616600-1295113484_thumb.jpg

Left to right: Dinzag, Krebs, Zigzag, AK103

post-24335-0-44827900-1295113504_thumb.jpg

ill try and fix these. a few are fuct up

post-24335-0-73883400-1295113453_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZG

Does the Krebs have the half moon slots? It looks like they may have the slits, but no indentation in the fron/side.

Thanks

On the Krebs site, there is a mounting bushing listed. Thee is no real description on this. Is this a thread adaptor for 14x1 RH to 22x1 LH?

Edited by Dorky D

The AK74M modern long collar brakes don't have the zigzags, the Russians dropped it in the eighties...either it was too expensive to mass produce, or it wasn't more effective than the non zig zag.

Since AK100 series rifles are actually just AK74M's chambered in 7.62 or 5.56, AK103's don't have the zig zag either.

Because AK74M's don't have the zig zag, the KVar SGL31 brakes don't have them. Chris Butler is making copies of the AK100 brakes, not copies of the 80's era zig zag pattern and thats why his doesn't have them.

The Krebs looks like it could have zig zags since his appears to be an early 80's pattern brake but I doubt he felt it was cost efficient to go to that level of detail. Same with Dinzag I'd bet. Even my Bulgarian SLR105 which is a nearly identical early 80's pattern rifle didn't have the zig zags, I'm thinking KVar hasn't built a US copy with them either.

Unfortunately I'd guess the answer is no, there are probably no US made versions that have the zig zag. One big reason might be the relative rarity even in the AK world because they were only produced for a few years and the other might be there isn't much of a demand for 922R compliant US made versions.

Is there some reason you can't use a Bulgarian zig zag? If it's 922R you can always juggle things around a bit to accomodate the brake.

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • 1 month later...

Is this one what you call "zig zag" ? I bought it online on GB and it is advertised as a copy of a bulgarian and russian version, with the 3 offset holes and slightly bigger muzzle opening to use it with 5.45 , .223. , 7.62 andf 308 cals . I haven`t shot it yet.

005-31.jpg

004-35.jpg

003-38.jpg

001-45.jpg

Edited by josey88

Is this one what you call "zig zag" ? I bought it online on GB and it is advertised as a copy of a bulgarian and russian version, with the 3 offset holes and slightly bigger muzzle opening to use it with 5.45 , .223. , 7.62 andf 308 cals . I haven`t shot it yet.

Refer to the first picture in post #6 above, for what the zigzag brakes look like.

BTW, you didnt post a picture.

Refer to the first picture in post #6 above, for what the zigzag brakes look like.

BTW, you didnt post a picture.

Pics are up. I think that the MB is a zig zag type.