Best slugs for Saiga 12?

I want to start stocking up on slugs for defensive and competition (USPSA 3 gun) use. I have a Saiga12 with the 18 inch smoothbore unchoked barrel. I'd like to try the Federal TruBall load. Any recommendations and experiences would be great!

ETA: Also, what sights do you use, and what sort of drop do you get at 50 and 100 yards?

Edited by SilentVectorX

I want to start stocking up on slugs for defensive and competition (USPSA 3 gun) use. I have a Saiga12 with the 16 inch smoothbore unchoked barrel. I'd like to try the Federal TruBall load. Any recommendations and experiences would be great!

Federal Truball did not shoot very well out of my Saiga, but every gun is different. You need to shoot some different kinds out of your gun to check for function and accuracy. I have had good luck with Fiocchi 7/8 Aero Slugs, and S&B Slug 28 (28 grams is one ounce). When you find something that works buy a bunch.

Doug

Like Doug said, when you find something that works for you, buy a bunch. Unlike Doug though, the Tru balls work pretty well in MY Saiga 12. I haven't tested a whole lot of slugs for comparison though.

Did you say your barrel was 16"?

My bad, 19 inch barrel from bolt face to muzzle.

Understood that I'll have to experiment, but I'm still making a list of things I'll definitely have to try.

TruBall

Fiocchi 7/8 Aero

S&B 1oz

PSL Sniper; maybe this sounds ridiculous in context of a shotgun, but for comparison's sake, what sort of groups do your handloads get you?

My bad, 19 inch barrel from bolt face to muzzle.

Understood that I'll have to experiment, but I'm still making a list of things I'll definitely have to try.

TruBall

Fiocchi 7/8 Aero

S&B 1oz

PSL Sniper; maybe this sounds ridiculous in context of a shotgun, but for comparison's sake, what sort of groups do your handloads get you?

you wouldnt believe me if i told you. lets just say ive shot lots of slugs from lots of different makers, and the ones ive handloaded are the most accurrate ive ever shot. EVER.

Remington 1 ounce Sluggers. I hit IPSC silhouette targets consistently at 85+ yards at the Pan Am shotgun match last year. GunfighterUK was using Winchester slugs and they put out so much smoke that one stage he could barely see the targets once he started firing. We honestly thought Winchester was using black powder in their slug loads.

I have never shot Trubal but would like to try them out. I wanted to see the drop and grouping from my S-12 at 100 yards. I shot Remington Sluggers and was very impressed. It dropped 4 iinches which is what they said it would and I shot 5 rounds using a bench rest. They grouped within 4 inches at 100 yards using open fixed iron sights. No smoke and ran very clean. I think Remington, Winchester, and Federal are all good rounds. THe accuracy I believe will depend on your shooting ability, your S-12 and your trigger pull.