FTE on last round using 5 rnd clip?!?!?

So have any of you guys experienced an issue where the last round in your magzine always FTE's? My buddies brand new S12 has that issue. This was using the V-Plug, on setting 5, using 1325 FPS #6 1-1/8th oz winchester. Any ideas?? The gun has been converted, but nothing polished and no grinding has been done on any internals.

Edited by Torqued

First off -

Let's see how long it takes some folks to jump all over the use of the word "clip"

A clip or a charger is used to load a magazine, I believe you are referring to a 5 round magazine.

I'm guessing the mag is factory 5-rounder. The V-plug will not overcome undergassing from a low brass load.

These shells are the most difficult to run through these guns, do you know how many ports the gun has - pull the V-plug and look into the gas block, shine a light into the muzzle count your ports and check for obstruction, mine was a vodka special and I needed to open the block and add a port.

Good luck

Mark

I had this happen about 3 times in 70-80 rounds - this was the first time shooting the gun, factory plug, and a conservative bolt polish. I've since gently smoothed out the small recessed tab that contacts the extractor but I haven't shot since. This was the only failure I experienced, and all 3 were stovepipes.

I should add that this is a 3 port gun.

Edited by TheDriver

First off -

Let's see how long it takes some folks to jump all over the use of the word "clip"

A clip or a charger is used to load a magazine, I believe you are referring to a 5 round magazine.

I'm guessing the mag is factory 5-rounder. The V-plug will not overcome undergassing from a low brass load.

These shells are the most difficult to run through these guns, do you know how many ports the gun has - pull the V-plug and look into the gas block, shine a light into the muzzle count your ports and check for obstruction, mine was a vodka special and I needed to open the block and add a port.

Good luck

Mark

Clip schmip.... :) You purists..... Ive edited the word Clip to magazine so you guys can sleep at night :up:

Anyway, i have already looked in the gas tube and verified 3 ports. None appear blocked but i dont have a good way of knowing right now because I dont have anything the right diameter to put in there to check. Also Im aware the V-Plug wont help an undergassed gun, I just wanted to point out that the gun is equiped with one. What I am curious about is why there is any difference between the first 4 rounds and the last round. For some reason the 5th round seems to always FTE, and I am just not sure why. If anything I would think the last round would be less likely to FTE because there is no round in the mag pressing in the bottom of the bolt like the first 4.....

Sounds like it needs a bit more breaking in and is a bit undergassed.

Polishing a bit more and gently rounding off the sharp corners that hold up bolt travel will help too.

Your mag shouldnt have anything to do with it at that point as its empty,unless the follower stays well down below the top.

You can check if the ports are open with a dental pick,I like to keep them clean and have a pick in my shooting box.

Just shoot it some more and let it break in better,it'll be fine.

Is it a factory five rounder or aftermarket? It may just be the mag. A buddy just bought an IZ-109 off MD Arms and right off the bat he was flying through winchester bulk pack like it was 00 with a factory five rounder. I have tuned my gun a bit and she hiccups sometimes gettin the second shot off from my SGM 2-rounder I got for trap. Once I warm it up it runs good. I remember reading that surefires were temperamental in the cold but I thought it was just the 12-rounders. Try cleaning the mag - may be hanging up on cosmoline or something. give the mag a good once over to check for any burrs.

These guns are fun, stick with em