Should I buy this Saiga

Hey guys,

I've been lurking this forum for some time now while I've been gearing up to buy a .223 Saiga. I have a rifle on backorder for $350 + $20 shipping + $25 for transfer at the moment that is supposed to arrive in a couple of weeks. I can still cancel my order though. Today I found someone locally who is selling their rifle. $400 for a 16" .223 with dimples. It includes 4 surefire 30 round mags and a factory 10. Thing is, the factory papers for this rifle show that it shot a 136mm group at the factory. Should I wait for the new rifle and hope for a little better accuracy, or should I jump on top of this deal? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

You might be better off to wait. If you're interested in the mags you could offer him a few bucks for them.

136mm!?!? That's almost 5.4". Ouch. The papers that came with my 7.62x39 said something like 72 or 73 mm which I didn't think was terrible for a $340 rifle.

If I were you I would wait but if you really want it now go for it. Just make sure you won't have buyers regret.

Thing is, the factory papers for this rifle show that it shot a 136mm group at the factory. Should I wait for the new rifle and hope for a little better accuracy, or should I jump on top of this deal? I would appreciate any help.

Those numbers mean nothing. I had two Saigas, one listed at about 84mm, and the other similar to the number you quoted. They shoot about the same (both good).

Edited by Jim Digriz

Jim,

That didn't help my inner conflict going on right now after seeing the other replies lol. So is it possible that mine was test fired on a Friday when the employees were hammered?

Thanks for lending the prior experience. I was wondering how set in stone those numbers were.

Do you honestly think that most gun companies hire "Marksmen" to fire their guns? A professional race care driver can be the best in the world, but it doesn't mean they are the best mechanic on rebuilding cars. Well, even if a person is a master gunsmith and can build a beautiful gun from the ground up; doesn't mean they are going to be a great Marksman. In other words; don't base your impression of ANY GUN on a piece of paper that some employee filled out. If it was "TOO BAD" they would have failed QA and it would have gotten sent back. When you receive a gun, it passed QA. That's all that matters. Don't lower your knowledge of guns, or over think your knowledge of guns based on what a QA paper said for accuracy. That is such bogus information. I've NEVER seen a gun shoot a perfect 10 ring in my life. EVER. It was ALWAYS some PERSON HOLDING the gun that actually shot the 10 ring.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go ahead and grab the used one and not hold too much to the QA paper. It's only had 150 rounds through it, and I'm getting 4x 30 round mags for nearly the same price of the new gun. I also don't have to wait until the end of the month for it!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go ahead and grab the used one and not hold too much to the QA paper. It's only had 150 rounds through it, and I'm getting 4x 30 round mags for nearly the same price of the new gun. I also don't have to wait until the end of the month for it!

The used one is a good deal.

I think it's a tough call. That's not a bad price considering it comes with ~$120 in mags.

Like the others said, those accuracy numbers mean little to nothing. My 308 had a number close to that, but routinely shoots 4 round groups between 1 and 2 inches.

One advantage of buying the used one is that you'll get to see it before you put your money down. Saigas aren't Century products, but they're not necessarily put together completely straight either. My 308's gas block is canted slightly.

Since it's a 223, the ammo he shot is almost certainly not corrosive. I doubt the thing is shot out if he didn't bother to convert it. However, if he screwed up the crown cleaning it wrong, that's a consideration. You could always ask the guy questions.

But like I said, I think it's a tough call. Is buying a new one worth the extra $120 to you?

EDIT I see you already bought it. Should finish my coffee before I get on the internet.

Edited by Dudethebagman

Dimples are sexy--that's where I'd go. I don't think the factory test sheets mean much either. 2nd if you convert it with an aftermarket fire control group, its not really the same rifle that did the test sheet anyway. Bad accuracy can sometimes be the result of a really lousy trigger.