MAGS / DRUMS: Which For Reliablility / Longevity / Parts Availability

EDIT: To anyone I offended by posting this query in other forums. I intended no harm. I wasn't receiving any replies in this thread so I posted my query elsewhere. However, I did request folks reply via this thread and provided a link. Since this is a multifaceted question (several calibers) I posted in several forums. I'm sorry if I erred but please refrain from name-calling.

Please forgive my newb ignorance. I've been mostly lurking on this site for awhile now and am just now acquiring my Saiga firearms... one each S-12 and .308 are on the way to my FFL. BTW, I live in Texas.

I'm buying all (or nearly all) Saigas because my primary concerns are reliability, longevity, parts availability/interchangeability, capacity (both box and drum mags), and affordability (in this order). BTW, I'm not concerned about extreme precision because I'm getting older and less steady anyway. I'm going to buy once and they'll stay with me until my old body finally calls it quits.

The above stated, I will accessorize a bit because I can't have my hot/fiery ladies running around naked unless I'm behind closed doors stripping them down for a good swabbing, cleaning and rub-down.

*** Please keep advice/discussion pertaining only to box and drum mags... or hot ladies.

NOTE: I REALLY want all my mags to work with a good LRBHO (auto type). I know the shotgun drums I have will not.

---------------------------------------------------

GIVEN #1: I'll be buying several hi-cap mags for each caliber before I spend another penny. Yes, I'm buying the mags before I acquire more firearms... so I won't have to worry about that evil "B" word.

GIVEN #2: I know about the shotgun drums made by MD Arms, ProMag and the (PLEASE avoid bashing in this thread) Alliance Armament. Please list any others with advice and links but... please avoid any other commentary/banter.

GIVEN #3: I know very little about rifle mags. Please advise keeping my criteria in mind:

(in this order)

1. RELIABILITY

2. LONGEVITY

3. PARTS AVAILABILITY

4. MAX CAPACITY

5. CHANGE BETWEEN BOX & DRUM VERY QUICKLY

6. AFFORDABILITY (very important... but last on the list)

GIVEN #4: It seems to me that the factory box mags are the very best followed by AGP and Surefire but truly hi-cap mags are only available aftermarket. I've been reading about the double-stack and quad-stack mags and, yes, those would be great but they aren't available right now and I want to buy now (or VERY soon) while I still can. PLEASE avoid any negative comments regarding "panic purchases". I'm not panicking here... just "ensuring".:smoke:

GIVEN #5: I'm open to adding magwells or AK/AR adapters and acquiring the mags needed for use with them. BUT I'm only interested in those (at least for the 12ga / 20ga) that can be QUICKLY/EASILY REMOVED without fuss because I want to be able to use the drums I already bought... MD-20, AA 12 ga, AA 20ga, ProMag 12 ga (12rnd). I "prefer" quick-change type for the rifles too but if mags/adapters that fit my "criteria list" above are plentiful then semi-permanent are okay.

GIVEN #6: Capacity...

Box (rifle) 25rd ++

Drum (rifle) 50rd ++

Box (shotgun) 13 ++

Drum (shotgun) 12 ++

CALIBERS: (definite purchase, all Saiga):

7.62x39

30-06 (Model 100)

12ga

20ga

CALIBERS: (possible purchase, all Saiga):

5.45x39

22LR Semi: (definite purchase, unsure if Saiga Korshun or Ruger 10/22)

Edited by Mike1234567

AK related comments:

7.62x39: SLR107 or SGL21 with Bulgarian circle 10's or metal surplus mags

5.45x39 SLR105 or SGL31 with plum or bakelite mags

One thing to remember about combloc mags is that there are hundreds of millions of them in circulation and they have been in a zillion wars. I'm not into the hype of the US manufacturers, I think the track record of regular AK mags speaks for itself. Standard factory mags like the ones I mentioned should fit all your criteria.

Not to rain on the parade and no disrespect intended, but it kind of sounds like you have a lot of criteria for what seems to me to be a fairly simple subject. AK's are AK's, as long as they are properly built even a WASR10 will get the job done. They all have reliability + longevity in common, parts interchangeability isn't really a huge issue because they don't tend to break down, they all have basically the same ability to use standard mags or drums.

I don't see the point of adding a magwell to an AK and while I love the magwell on my S12 I don't recommend it for you because the mags are rare and expensive. You can use regular US S12 mags but you have to modify them to work, it kind of sounds like you want simple so it's probably best not to fool with it.

IMO the most important criteria is to train with your rifle and be good with it. All the emphasis on reliability and interchangeability etc won't really matter if you aren't capable with your weapon in the first place.

Just my .02 rupees

Z

IMHO I'd change your #3 criteria to straight "availability" rather than just parts.

Circle 10's will be the answer of a lot of people when asked about 7.62x39. They are my preferred as well.

Unfortunately I know of no solid supply of them. I see crappy deals on gunbroker. Only other place Ive seen them sold in a long time is on forum marketplaces. No stores.

That changes my answer to new steel mags. Can easily find retail stores to purchase form.