newbie with questions

UTG isn't held in the highest regards for quality. They also make a couple of different options for AK quad rail HG setups. Guessing your talking about this though:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=38441

Regardless of it being UTG or not make sure you need all those rails.

As a lot of people first learning how to run a rifle tend to do, I started "accessorizing" my rifle basing my decisions on random wants rather than needs. Mostly because I didn't know the difference...

After some training I'd realize a lot of it does more harm than good. I ended up cannibalizing my initial setup.

A good general rule, for any rifle not just an AK, is keep it slim and light. Smaller is better.

AR's have a lot more choices. You'll notice the slick long quad rail hand guards aren't as popular as they once were. Styles like VTAC's and Troy's TRX are more favorable. The crap you actually need on a rifle doesn't need all that rail to attach to. Especially on an AK.

Optic, maybe a flash light, and a forward sling point. I can't think of anything else you'd want attached to your rifle.

AK's standard HG retainer takes care of the forward sling point. Optics are a nice to have(always preferred but more dependent on funds). Flash light is up to you and your situation.

So before answer whether or not the UTG quad rail is a good product or not, do you actually have a use for it?

I guess your right just caught up up in all the excitment of picking it up this week i wanna have evrything here upgraded stock ect ect ect.you are right on keepin it simple my moisins are simple scope on 1 & the other i left the iron sights & just ATI stock.

UTG isn't held in the highest regards for quality. They also make a couple of different options for AK quad rail HG setups. Guessing your talking about this though:

http://forum.saiga-1...showtopic=38441

Regardless of it being UTG or not make sure you need all those rails.

As a lot of people first learning how to run a rifle tend to do, I started "accessorizing" my rifle basing my decisions on random wants rather than needs. Mostly because I didn't know the difference...

After some training I'd realize a lot of it does more harm than good. I ended up cannibalizing my initial setup.

A good general rule, for any rifle not just an AK, is keep it slim and light. Smaller is better.

AR's have a lot more choices. You'll notice the slick long quad rail hand guards aren't as popular as they once were. Styles like VTAC's and Troy's TRX are more favorable. The crap you actually need on a rifle doesn't need all that rail to attach to. Especially on an AK.

Optic, maybe a flash light, and a forward sling point. I can't think of anything else you'd want attached to your rifle.

AK's standard HG retainer takes care of the forward sling point. Optics are a nice to have(always preferred but more dependent on funds). Flash light is up to you and your situation.

So before answer whether or not the UTG quad rail is a good product or not, do you actually have a use for it?

I'll have my x39 by the end of the week and the only thing I'm doing is maybe a low power scope. If I want to gadget something out it'll be a WASR cheapo or an AR down the road if I ever feel I need one. I dig the Saiga for it's simple presentation. I look at it like a low power M1A Scout. If you're looking at something to clear your house in an invasion you got the wrong tool. My 1911 with flashlight and 12g buckshot have that chore :smoke:

It's bulky.. plus it clamps to your barrel and bolts down to the lower part of the handguard. If you want to take your gas tube off the rifle to clean, you have to take out 4 hex bolts and take off the top part of the rail before you can do so.

I had one on my AMD 65 just because I did some work to it, and could no longer stand the stock forend. I've taken it off and now just use a standard ak handguard that I modified slightly to fit.

edit: never really used the rails for anything either, other than to put a magpul afg on the bottom rail.

Edited by danklab