Anybody know anything about a Colt MK IV Series 80 Government Model 38

I need to know the proper carry method, is it cocked and locked? It has half cock, but at half cock with safety on the trigger will release the hammer onto pin, and I don't know if it has a firing pin disconnect or not. Any help will be appreciated as this is the only thing I have right now that is very concealable, I can't find a way to conceal the 1911 worth a shit.

I have the Colt Officers compact that I carry, the Colt's are single action weapons and unless the hammer is cocked fully it is useless, I have mine chambered and the safety on while I carry.... BTW, I would purchase a match grade sear & disconnector for her, I have the Ed Brown match grade Sear & Wilson Combat match Disconnector along with a Wilson sear spring.... She went from a 7-8 lb pull to a 4 lb pull....

Below is a 1911 gunsmith manual that is extremely useful:

1911 Gunsmithing Manual

YOU HAVE TO WAIT 60 SECONDS FOR THE DOWNLOAD LINK TO APPEAR

• Like 1

The pistol was designed to be carried cocked and unlocked, meaning without the safety on. I always carried cocked and locked when I toted the big Colt!

I hate to disagree with my very knowledgeable buddy Azrial. However the following is from the owners manual -

NOTE: This pistol may be carried in anyone of the following three modes

according to your needs:

Mode 1: - MAGAZINE EMPTY, CHAMBER EMPTY.

- Pistol cannot be discharged.

- Use Mode 1 for storage, transporting, cleaning, repair,

demonstrating and dry practice.

Mode 2: - MAGAZINE LOADED, CHAMBER EMPTY, HAMMER DOWN.

- Pistol cannot be fired until slide is cycled and trigger is squeezed.

- Use Mode 2 when CARRYING THE PISTOL READY FOR USE.

Mode 3: - MAGAZINE LOADED, CHAMBER LOADED, HAMMER

COCKED, SAFETY ON.

- Pistol can be fired when slide lock safety is off and trigger

is squeezed.

- Use Mode 3 when you MUST BE PREPARED to use the pistol

IMMEDIATELY without warning.

In case you don't have a copy it is available in PDF at http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/colt_mkiv_series_80_&_90_pistols.pdf

Stepping lightly,

• Like 2

The pistol was designed to be carried cocked and unlocked, meaning without the safety on. I always carried cocked and locked when I toted the big Colt!

I hate to disagree with my very knowledgeable buddy Azrial. However the following is from the owners manual -....

That manual was written long after the 1911 was designed. I was not there mind you... but I have read that the thought was that the grip safety was adequate to prevent accidental discharge.

BTW, I fully agree, I would never carry one without the thumb safety engaged, it just takes too little time to sweep off the safety with the thumb during presentation.

• Like 1