New to the forum

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am going to my local gun shop this weekend to order my new saiga 12 this weekend. I had a few questions though. I am a small frasmed guy,I have a 9mm that I like to shoot but now I want something else. I really like the saiga 12,just wanted to make sure it wouldnt be too much for me. I was looking on youtube at a guy who has one that is very nicely modded.It looks as if he has done soemthing to it to keep the recoil down a little. Is this possible? Just wondering how would I do this? I would like to do a conversion on it,but I will probably have it professionally done just to make sure I get what I want and its done right.

Just wanted to hear some opinions on this,thanks

• Like 1

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I am going to my local gun shop this weekend to order my new saiga 12 this weekend. I had a few questions though. I am a small frasmed guy,I have a 9mm that I like to shoot but now I want something else. I really like the saiga 12,just wanted to make sure it wouldnt be too much for me. I was looking on youtube at a guy who has one that is very nicely modded.It looks as if he has done soemthing to it to keep the recoil down a little. Is this possible? Just wondering how would I do this? I would like to do a conversion on it,but I will probably have it professionally done just to make sure I get what I want and its done right.

Just wanted to hear some opinions on this,thanks

Birdshot and reduced recoil loads shouldn't be an issue for you if you have shot other long guns before, but the full power slugs and buckshot definitely let you know you just pulled the trigger.

I would look into an Enidine Shot Shock regardless of your stature if you plan on regularly shooting full power loads as it reduces the recoil to the same impulse as the birdshot. I have these on both my Saiga's and the only way I can tell the difference on loads in a mixed magazine is the trigger slap.

The Shot Shock is a pneumatic shock absorber that is shaped like a Mil Spec AR-15 carbine buffer tube. You can use any mil-spec sized collapsible stock (Magpul makes several mil-spec sized stocks that work great). You will also need an internal stock adapter that allows you to thread on an AR style buffer tube. This will obviously require a conversion.

As long as you weight at least 140lbs, you should be fine. Welcome to the board!

actually I am 32 years old and I weigh 128 lbs. I know it seems unbelievable,but its true.

Then sorry, but the recoil from the average high brass 12 gauge is going to be difficult for you. This is based on data complied from teaching hundreds of police officers personally and with others work into the thousands. The recoil pulse needs so much resistance and no matter how strong you are, the physics are what they are. Now if you were like 3 feet tall...

I wish you luck with it, have you a friend with an S12 that you can try? Perhaps the S20 is an option, I think that someone is now making larger then OEM mags for it.

As long as you weight at least 140lbs, you should be fine. Welcome to the board!

actually I am 32 years old and I weigh 128 lbs. I know it seems unbelievable,but its true.

Then sorry, but the recoil from the average high brass 12 gauge is going to be difficult for you. This is based on data complied from teaching hundreds of police officers personally and with others work into the thousands. The recoil pulse needs so much resistance and no matter how strong you are, the physics are what they are. Now if you were like 3 feet tall...

I wish you luck with it, have you a friend with an S12 that you can try? Perhaps the S20 is an option, I think that someone is now making larger then OEM mags for it.

My friend has a few guns but nothing along the lines of a saiga 12. He does have some type of .308 that he says is pretty nice. The only thing I have ever shot of his was his glock.It was a .40 cal. I just got a new 9mm Ruger SR9c, I really like it,I just want something new. I may just get the shot shock and go with it.I really want to get the saiga. I guess we will see though

Azriel is right about the recoil. My wife is slightly smaller than you, and I have to lean on her when she shoots my S-12. She can sling lead with a .410 all day though. I was 12 years old when Dad bought me my Winchester 1200, 20 gauge and a little smaller than you. I handled it, but it worked me. I say go with the .410 or 20 gauge-the 20 gauge has cheaper ammo.