BRAND NEW GUN - BHO Jammed

Brand new gun (19" S-12) - just picked it up today.

I live Behind Enemy Lines - in a state that treats any Kalashnikov action as a deadly "assault weapon" -- so I had to wait a week after paying/paperwork before I could actually take it home.

Last time I handled it - a week ago - it was fine. I engaged the BHO while checking it out, and left it that way.

Picked it up today, and stopped to see a friend on the way home. Took it out of the box and..... JAMMED!

After a bunch of looking it over, I realize the BHO is pushed up inside the receiver, and the little spring is blocking the hole.

"NO PROBLEM!" I thought -- "I'll just pull the cover and spring, relieve the pressure, and I should be able to push it out!"

I got the cover off, but - as I'm sure YOU guys probably know - I can't remove the spring with the bolt locked to the rear.

I've tried to push the BHO down while holding bolt back manually - it won't fall on its own and I can't push it down far enough to clear the bolt.

"Frustrated" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it -- in fact "P!$$3D OFF" doesn't even come CLOSE!!

My guess is FFL let someone handle it, and they - finding bolt locked back - tried to release it like a regular semi -- so they pushed (and pushed, and...) on the button until it's all the way up inside the gun...

Now I **REALLY** want to go kill something.... :evil:

I've searched all over here, but none of the threads I've found on the topic have any advice I haven't already tried. Someone mentioned "floss" but...???

???

Any help/hints/etc deeply appreciated!!

DD

Before you fish out the spring (I like hemostats, machinist's fine needlenose work well too)

Notch the ear on the BHO that the spring end sits on & this will not happen again & if you ever need to reinstall the FCG it will be MUCH easier because the f****ng spring won't keep falling off.

Removal isn't needed for this.

Untitled-5.jpg

• Like 2

Alright DD...It pissed me off too after I converted mine and I thought "what the...!"

What Paulyski said. Notch the lever and also bend the spring over it.

But first you got to get the damn thing apart. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Push the spring forward, with the bolt open it won't go more than a fraction of an inch. Then insert a flat head screwdriver under it and lift. That should give it enough clearance to pull out. Carefull when it does clear as it's in compression and will fly out a few feet if you don't hold on to it.

Good luck and after this you'll be glad you got the S12.

Will

Edited by Willseeker

Alright DD...It pissed me off too after I converted mine and I thought "what the...!"

What Paulyski said. Notch the lever and also bend the spring over it.

But first you got to get the damn thing apart. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Push the spring forward, with the bolt open it won't go more than a fraction of an inch. Then insert a flat head screwdriver under it and lift. That should give it enough clearance to pull out. Carefull when it does clear as it's in compression and will fly out a few feet if you don't hold on to it.

Good luck and after this you'll be glad you got the S12.

Will

You're talking about the recoil-spring? It can't come out -- it won't go far enough to clear the dovetails in the trunion that keep it from popping out.

I **MIGHT** be able to pry it out -- but I sure don't want to do anything to booger it up... If I've got to take it back, you know?

IS there really no way to get the dang BHO to move out of the way so I can do this the normal way?

Can I remove the gas-tube and free it up that way...?

Can I push a pin out enough to let the BHO drop out of the way?

I really don't want to pry the spring out on a brand new gun.... :cryss::cryss::cryss:

I can get my top cover of with the bolt held back with the BHO. You might have to use both hands. It'll open once the push pin detent is just barely into the top cover.

Duude... Yer KILLIN' me with that avatar...

Both hands? YEaaaaaaaahhh..... Mmmmmmmm.......:wub:

What were we talking about again?:wacko:

Oh, yeah...

I got the top-cover off -- it's the RECOIL SPRING THAT I CAN'T GET OUT - it won't go forward far enough to clear the dovetail-ish thing on top of the trunion that the back-end of the recoil spring assy's in.

I figured if I COULD get the R.S. out, perhaps the bolt would move back just enough for me to push the BHO down...

Is there some way to get the BHO out with the bolt locked to the rear??!!

Grrr....

Before you fish out the spring (I like hemostats, machinist's fine needlenose work well too)

Notch the ear on the BHO that the spring end sits on & this will not happen again & if you ever need to reinstall the FCG it will be MUCH easier because the f****ng spring won't keep falling off.

Removal isn't needed for this.

Untitled-5.jpg

Agree!

Sorry, I thought you were stuck on the topcover. Can't read sometimes...

I'm no pro with the BHO. I do know when I was converting to PG, I had the spring slide off the BHO catch (that pauly said to file a groove into) it was easier to pop the pins and start over. I realize this is not an easy option if you aren't converting it.

In conclusion, sorry for wasting your time...I don't know off any easy fixes for you.

I can get my top cover of with the bolt held back with the BHO. You might have to use both hands. It'll open once the push pin detent is just barely into the top cover.

I got the top-cover off -- it's the RECOIL SPRING THAT I CAN'T GET OUT - it won't go forward far enough to clear the dovetail-ish thing on top of the trunion that the back-end of the recoil spring assy's in.

I figured if I COULD get the R.S. out, perhaps the bolt would move back just enough for me to push the BHO down...

Is there some way to get the BHO out with the bolt locked to the rear??!!

Grrr....

Is your bolt support jammed all the way back against the rear trunnion? I locked mine back with the BHO and there is about 3/4" between the rear of the bolt support and the trunnion....enough room to push the recoil spring forward and remove it. If you're all the way against the trunnion, then hopefully some the the experts here can suggest some options.