Piston wiggle?

So I got my Saiga last week and decided to field strip and lube it before I did anything with it. Upon inspection of the bolt carrier I noticed there is ever so slight wiggle in the piston. Is this normal? It looks as if it is threaded onto the carrier, but it wont loosen or tighten when I try it.

Anyone run into this before?

-Justin

This is perfectly normal. The piston is threaded in to the bolt carrier, then pinned in place where the hole in the piston threads lines up with the holes in the bolt carrier - usually this does not index perfectly and you end up with anywhere from a little bit to a lot of piston wiggle. It will not negatively impact the performance of your rifle.

This is perfectly normal. The piston is threaded in to the bolt carrier, then pinned in place where the hole in the piston threads lines up with the holes in the bolt carrier - usually this does not index perfectly and you end up with anywhere from a little bit to a lot of piston wiggle. It will not negatively impact the performance of your rifle.

Holes...not quite The parts are peened in place otherwise you are correct Sir

Edited by saigatechusa
  • Like 1

I bow to your superior knowledge. It's been a few years since I've helped replace a piston, and have yet to do it myself. Forgot it was just peened in.

I bow to your superior knowledge. It's been a few years since I've helped replace a piston, and have yet to do it myself. Forgot it was just peened in.

it's fun when we all learn!! :super: